Question Help with Graphics Upgrade

Nov 12, 2019
Hey, having trouble with a graphics card upgrade I made to an existing build:

Motherboard: Intel DP67BG (LGA 1155)
Processor: i7-2700k
RAM: 32GB DDR
PSU: 750W

Long day at work and a run in the cold, so I'm guessing I wasn't getting proper blood flow to my brain and I forgot to disable prior graphics drivers (GTX 10-series desktop) prior to upgrade. Older board/processor, but from what I read should be compatible.

Just installed an eVGA 2080ti and everything seemed to be going well in terms of power, start noise, no motherboard beeping at me, normal bios boot menu display. But after displaying the normal boot menu options for the motherboard, the monitor defaulted to a dark display with an "0_" symbol in the bottom right hand corner. Tried this with multiple monitors and multiple output ports/cables, same result.

Curiously, if I try to boot the bios or safe mode, the motherboard starts beeping and giving me an E6 error. Using the clear CMOS (it's called back 2 bios or something on this board), I can reset the board's basic bios options, but then after restarting from clear CMOS mode I am still unable to boot in safe mode or access bios. I tried letting it advance past the boot menu and then hit keys as if I were trying to log into windows with no working display, but hitting enter causes a "00" error on the motherboard and more beeping (nonspecific debug code)

When researching troubleshooting this, had someone mention using remote desktop to try and install drivers with the display not working, but because of my current security settings can't remote desktop to my PC right now.

I suppose I could uninstall the card, reinstall the prior card, and see if that works but this is a troubleshooting challenge I haven't experienced before, so figured I'd ask if anyone had some other suggestions, or if anyone had a reasonable alternative other than "old graphics drivers are getting in the way" to offer to make sure I'm not anchoring on the wrong answer.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019
Intel Core i7-6700 Skylake Quad-Core 3.4 GHz LGA 1151 does not fit Intel DP67BG.

Newer video cards such as eVGA 2080ti may have trouble working on old motherboard with legacy BIOS.

Maximum Memory Supported is 32GB
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813121511

This is correct, I built a PC with very similar specifications for a friend at the same time several years back, he was the one who had the 64gb setup and the 6700. Mine is an i7-2600k with 32gb of RAM. Original post edited for clarity.

Update: accidentally double-posted because this original post disappeared completely while being moderated to make sure I wasn't a bot. Had Darkbreeze post a very helpful primer in relation to my initial post, which I realized was missing an important piece of information: This board does not have on board graphics capability at all. No native output. So if I have a non-functional graphics card plugged in to the system, I can't actually get any output whatsoever other than the initial screens mentioned above.

I've reinstalled the old card and it's still working normally. Was able to uninstall graphics drivers with no change overall in the behavior after installing new card, which does let me know that the PCIe slot is working, at least. Had a brief moment where I heard the cheerful windows "new device detected" chime so I think I might be getting closer. Going to try a hard reset on the BIOS next after I disconnect some unnecessary components and see if that works.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019
Verified that BIOS is up to date, uninstalled everything I could find. Was able to get into BIOS normally, which is an improvement. If I reinstall old graphics card, turn on windows, shut the computer back down, then reinstall the new one, I can get the windows boot logo to show up on the screen the first time the computer restarts (it's off-center, but it's there). I hear the "new device detected" chime and the computer then restarts, going back to the old pattern of only being able to show me the bios screen and then screaming at me if I try to hotkey my way in to safe mode, making me think that the first time a default video driver is installed for the new card it stops working. Though my PSU is not really built to cut it, I'm going to try to install both cards at once and then install drivers for the 2080 ti while it's in the second PCI slot. Hopefully since the 2080's not being asked to do anything it won't cause any power issues.

Update: Wasn't able to reliably work both cards in, and I have a bottom-mounted PSU in this case so either I'd have a nice new card trying to vent itself into another card, or directly into the PSU, didn't want to risk it. Thinking that despite seeing other people say they'd gotten this particular card/mobo combination correct, there's just too much of an age difference. Anyone have any other ideas before I give up and go through returning this thing?

Last edited: