Help with grey/black screen sometimes with lines.

legionking

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016
So I've been having issues with my computer crashing, locking up, etc to the point where I have to restart my computer. I've noticed most of if not every time is is when I am playing a game like guild wars 2,smite, league of legends(hardly but has happened), and any other game that is demanding. Sometimes my screen will just go black some other times it will be green with lines or grey with lines. I wish i could give your more information but I'm not experienced in these types of issues. I am also not sure if it is my RAM, Graphics card or what it may be but seeing as i have to pick a category I went with graphics cards. I am willing to supply almost any info that is needed as long as I can get some help. thanks in advance.

Solution
could be the gpu, test it out with another gpu. I need more information in order to give you more help. What CPU do you have? How long can you play these games before they crash? What happens to time before crash differences when playing less demanding games? Full system specs?

Nerdy Nerd

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
could be the gpu, test it out with another gpu. I need more information in order to give you more help. What CPU do you have? How long can you play these games before they crash? What happens to time before crash differences when playing less demanding games? Full system specs?

Solution

legionking

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016
http://all right thanks for the response. I'll have to ask a friend for a spare GPU. In between games like just browsing the internet or anything not demanding it is fine. If I have a game up and minimize to do something sometimes it will crash other times it may not. It seems to only happen when I am playing games but that is about all I do that is demanding. Here are my specs.
CPU: Intel I7-2600k@3.40GHZ(8 cpus)
RAM: 8 gigs
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6800 series
Unfortunately I don't know the specs for my RAM. I can probably find it but, I'm short on time. Sorry I didn't see you asked for full specs. The link I added should show all my specs. Let me know if that is not adequate.

Nerdy Nerd

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
You have an Intel 7, that should handle what ever you throw at it. Something is wrong, Intel 7 is powerful. Is your CPU fan and heatsink clean? If any dust, blow that out. Also let me know with the gpu once you get it from your friend. Testing the gpu might be difficult because you can't just put in an old one because it happens with the games. Hope your friend has a good one. Also try just taking out the ram and blowing on the slot to get any dust out if there and then put it back in and make sure it clicks.

legionking

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016
Yea that is what we are going to try today with the heatsink and stuff. Also he has a 970. Also if the game opens and doesn't crash in loading it will play fine but minimizing can cause it to to crash. It usual never crashes while playing unless a lot happens fast or sudden. I'm not sure if that will help but I've always found that odd.

Nerdy Nerd

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
Does the game seem like slow before you minimize? I guess just wait till you put in your friends gpu in their and see if you can get the computer to crash again, if you can't, then your gpu was the problem. If it crashes, then either the CPU is going bad or the fan and heatsink need a blowout. The CPU fan does spin right? Also try putting new thermal paste on.

Nerdy Nerd

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
Also, just look at your motherboard and see if their is any bulging capacitors or burnt ones. If there are some, that maybe your problem, even the slightest bulging can be a problem. 50 percent of all issues related to the motherboard if it is, is a bad capacitor.

legionking

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016
Na the game seems fine even before minimizing and after(if it doesn't crash). We took the computer apart and cleaned everything. The heatsink did have a bunch of dust which we removed. The motherboard looked fine and no burnt spots. I will not be able to borrow my friends GPU until Monday because of work and stuff. I'm going to test until than to see if the cleaning helped solve the crashing. I'll let you know by Monday if any of that helped.