[SOLVED] Help with HDD failure.

Oct 26, 2020
I only purchased a 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD from CCLOnline. Within a month of purchase it began to make a clicking noise, and a few days after that Windows refuses to recognise the HDD.

I am now signed into a temporary account, and cannot access the files I can see are on the Hard Drive, but are inaccessible. Any and all files I create or edit aren't saved.
I sent the HDD back to the seller and after examining it they concluded there was no fault. What is happening and what can I do?

Oct 26, 2020
Could we see the SMART report from CrystalDiskInfo or GSmartControl?

BTW, if you send your drive to Seagate, they will probably give you a refurbished replacement. Your seller, OTOH, should give you a new drive.

Yeah, I'm very new to PCs so I don't know what that is, but I've already sent the HDD to the seller. They emailed me saying no issue had been found, but it is still in their warehouse, so I can't get those details for you.

Would you suggest I get it back from them and return it to Seagate instead?

If the seller doesn't want to replace your drive, then Seagate is your only option. However, they will want a SeaTools test code before they will issue an RMA. Therefore, if your drive passes SeaTools, you may find yourself battling with Seagate as well.

You still have this last resort, though:

Self-Service SeaTools Test Codes:
https://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/seatools/seatools-test-codes.html

Solution