May 26, 2021
Putting together several systems for POS computer for company.
System build:
Asrock B450-HDV r4.0 v3.7 Bios
AMD Ryzen 3 2200G CPU
G.Skill 8GB Ram
Teamgoup MS30 SSD

This config is good and works most of time.
Problem is with using HDMI on Mobo.
Most of the time, I connect VGA monitor to system to setup BIOS.
I change the video to Internal so that I can use the CPU GPU.
6/10 systems will then allow me to connect a HDMI cord and continue.
2/10 systems I had to clear bios and system started using HDMI on their own.
I now have 2/10 systems that will display on VGA, but nothing I change in BIOS will allow me to use the HDMI(which is preferred for monitors we purchased.)
Have also tried updating Bios with no change.
I cannot find anything on Asrock site to help, even put in support ticket which has been ignored.
Any insights appreciated.

Ralston18

Titan
On the 2/10 systems that appear to only support VGA have you swapped in a known working HDMI cable from one of the 6/10 working systems.

Have you tried swapping in a known working HDMI monitor from one of the 6/10 working systems.

If you are familiar with Powershell you can compare video card properties between the working HDMI systems and the non-working HDMI systems.

At the Powershell prompt type the following cmdlet:

Get-WmiObject win32_VideoController

(You should be able to just copy and paste in the entire line at the PS> prompt.

Reference:

https://winbuzzer.com/2020/08/21/how-to-check-what-graphics-card-you-have-on-windows-10-xcxwbt/

The link contains other ways to check GPUs.

The Powershell "Get" provides a considerable amount of comparable information.

May 26, 2021
On the 2/10 systems that appear to only support VGA have you swapped in a known working HDMI cable from one of the 6/10 working systems.

Have you tried swapping in a known working HDMI monitor from one of the 6/10 working systems.

If you are familiar with Powershell you can compare video card properties between the working HDMI systems and the non-working HDMI systems.

At the Powershell prompt type the following cmdlet:

Get-WmiObject win32_VideoController

(You should be able to just copy and paste in the entire line at the PS> prompt.

Reference:

https://winbuzzer.com/2020/08/21/how-to-check-what-graphics-card-you-have-on-windows-10-xcxwbt/

The link contains other ways to check GPUs.

The Powershell "Get" provides a considerable amount of comparable information.
Using same Monitor and cables for each build. So cables good.
Checked the link above and says name is SMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics.
Just cannot get video pushed out through HDMI on 2/10 systems.
Everything else is fine in VGA mode from Bios and Windows.

Ralston18

Titan
Same monitors and cables - i.e., same make, model, brand, source, etc..

However, were you able to swap in a known working HDMI cable from one of the six systems where HDMI is working?

Just to eliminate possible defective cables?

Likewise for monitor.

And GPU.

Were you able to compare the Powershell "specs" between working HDMI builds and non-working HDMI builds?

Another way: "WIN" + "I" > System > About > Advanced system settings (on the right side of the window)

The objective is to discover some difference (be it hardware, software, or configuration) between the 6/10 that are working and the 2/10 that are not working.

May 26, 2021
Same monitors and cables - i.e., same make, model, brand, source, etc..

However, were you able to swap in a known working HDMI cable from one of the six systems where HDMI is working?

Just to eliminate possible defective cables?

Likewise for monitor.

And GPU.

Were you able to compare the Powershell "specs" between working HDMI builds and non-working HDMI builds?

Another way: "WIN" + "I" > System > About > Advanced system settings (on the right side of the window)

The objective is to discover some difference (be it hardware, software, or configuration) between the 6/10 that are working and the 2/10 that are not working.
The monitor, VGA and HDMI cable is the same for each built. So those are known to be good. Been used an all systems.
Pulled 2 of 6/10 systems today and checked BIOS settings. Both we set to use internal GPU.
I verified on to 2/10 that did not have HDMI output did have same BIOS setting.

Only thing I have not done is swap CPUs to see if problem travels from non working system to working system.
Mat try this tomorrow.

Still weird on some of the systems I have to change the BIOS and others I don't. System seems to track if VGA or HDMI is plugged in.

May 26, 2021
Just an update. Went in this morning to start troubleshooting again.
Put the 2/10 computer on desk.
Plugged in HDMI and system fired right up.
Just weirdest thing.
Was not working when I left yesterday and this morning I can get video fom HDMI.
I did not change anything.
Go figure.