[SOLVED] Help with headphones and their 'ohm' rating

Jan 8, 2022
Hello everyone,

I was deciding which headphones to buy, the DT 770 PRO 80.OHM / DT 770 PRO 250.OHM. I will be using my computer to power them so I was wondering if it can power the 250ohm ones without compromising sound quality as I can get that version cheaper. My power supply is a 550 Watt bronze rated and I have an Asrock B560 PRO 4 as my motherboard, I'm not sure if that helps.

Thanks,

George

Solution
Hello everyone,

I was deciding which headphones to buy, the DT 770 PRO 80.OHM / DT 770 PRO 250.OHM. I will be using my computer to power them so I was wondering if it can power the 250ohm ones without compromising sound quality as I can get that version cheaper. My power supply is a 550 Watt bronze rated and I have an Asrock B560 PRO 4 as my motherboard, I'm not sure if that helps.

Thanks,

George
250 ohm headphones won't be as loud as the 80 ohm. Will they be too soft? I don't know. They won't hurt the motherboard, they just may be too quiet.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello everyone,

Thanks,

George
250 ohm headphones won't be as loud as the 80 ohm. Will they be too soft? I don't know. They won't hurt the motherboard, they just may be too quiet.

Reactions: George.R
Solution

umeng2002_2

Commendable
Jan 10, 2022
Trust me, unless you have an external headphone amp with good power; get the 80 ohm version.

It's not just volume. It's sound "fullness." My high impedance Senn HD 600 headphones can be driven to a good volume with a Sound Blaster sound card with a dedicated headphone amp built in, but the sound isn't as full and rich as using an external headphone amp with more power.

Amps without a good amount of power or reserve capacitance can start to sound hollow as those bass notes add up to drain power from the amp with certain audio tracks.

Reactions: George.R
Jan 8, 2022
Trust me, unless you have an external headphone amp with good power; get the 80 ohm version.

It's not just volume. It's sound "fullness." My high impedance Senn HD 600 headphones can be driven to a good volume with a Sound Blaster sound card with a dedicated headphone amp built in, but the sound isn't as full and rich as using an external headphone amp with more power.

Amps without a good amount of power or reserve capacitance can start to sound hollow as those bass notes add up to drain power from the amp with certain audio tracks.
thanks, I am going to get the 80ohm