Help with homebuilt system recognizing hard disk

melcor

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Hello all,

I just recently put together a new desktop computer and everything turned on properly but I can't seem to get it to recognzie either my sata 500gb hard drive or 64 gb ssd drive to put my operating system on. In the mobo manual it seems to say that I need to have an operating system on the desktop before I use a sata drive but how would it be possible to do this without using the sata drive to put the operating system on in the first place? Also, right before the dvd disc with the operating system tries to load, I see that the mobo isn't recognizing any hard drive and so I can't even go into the bios. Any help would be appreciated. Here are the specs I'm using for reference;

case-XCLIO Blackhawk extreme full tower cooling case

mobo-Asus p8p67 pro lga 1155 intel p67 sata 6gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motheroard

CPU-Sandy Bridge I7-2600k

GPU-SAPPHIRE 100290SR Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Eyefinity 6 Edition Video Card

Hard drive-Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Ram-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

SSD-Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

I'm not sure if this is a stupid question, but I have tried reconnecting everything to make sure all connections are good. Also, the dvd burner is connected in basically the same way as the 500gb hard drive, and that seems to be working, so I'm just not sure whats going on. Thanks in advance for any help.

Solution

I got lotsa ideas! Oh, you mean about your issue?

I have questions, in that case, and a few guesses.

The very, very first thing to ask is: When you put the OS install DVD in the DVD drive (which OS?), does the system read it and start to boot? If yes, we go to the simple answers. If no, we go to the complicated explorations. You do have an OS DVD, yes? It wasn't on your list.

When you write that "I can't seem to get it to recognize either my sata 500gb hard drive or 64 gb ssd drive to put my operating system on," what is the it that doesn't recognize the drives? If you boot into BIOS by pressing the appropriate key at power on, can you see three drives? And to ask the question that solved another thread...

I got lotsa ideas! Oh, you mean about your issue?

I have questions, in that case, and a few guesses.

The very, very first thing to ask is: When you put the OS install DVD in the DVD drive (which OS?), does the system read it and start to boot? If yes, we go to the simple answers. If no, we go to the complicated explorations. You do have an OS DVD, yes? It wasn't on your list.

When you write that "I can't seem to get it to recognize either my sata 500gb hard drive or 64 gb ssd drive to put my operating system on," what is the it that doesn't recognize the drives? If you boot into BIOS by pressing the appropriate key at power on, can you see three drives? And to ask the question that solved another thread recently, in addition to connecting the drives to the motherboard did you connect their power cables?

Where to go from here kind of depends on the answers to the above. The simplest case is that BIOS recognizes all three drives and you can boot from the OS DVD to do the install. Then we just tell it which drive to create the partition for the OS on (the SSD if this is Windows 7) and go from there.

BTW, if you look in BIOS to see if the drives are all detected, let me know if the disk controller is in AHCI or IDE mode. IDE used to be the default, and it is not healthy for SSDs.

Solution

melcor

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Well, it was recognizing the boot dvd but once it started to install, it would say that a problem has occurred probably due to removal of a storage device. I went into bios and both hard drives and dvd drive were actually recognized and so I burned another copy of my os and for some odd reason that actually seemed to fix it. The OS is installing now and so far there aren't any other problems. I apologize for having you write all that up, but thank you immensely regardless. (Bios says it is in AHCI mode also-so that is good as well) If anything else starts messing up, I might send you a message, but I guess it just needed me to spend a couple hours on it to make it happy, haha.