[SOLVED] Help with I5 8400 bottleneck

tnzz

Commendable
Jan 28, 2019
I've got a prebuilt 8400/1070TI with 8GB ram, playing in 1080p.

Having a mix of max settings and others lowered or off in AAA (BO4/D2) games I'm having to cap frames to about 70-80 and its still getting close to and sometimes maxing usage on the CPU but on the GPU it will stay around 60%.

Is this normal with the 8400 at 1080p, its just not fast enough to push frames? Or is there something not right?

Also what difference would adding another 8gb ram make? Its never maxed the ram so far though.

Thanks in advance! :)

Solution
I’ve seen several reports of hex core CPU’s maxing out in a handful of games now. This seems about right with a 1070Ti at 1080p.

16gb RAM may help a little by reducing the caching between the storage drive and RAM however buying another 2x4gb does carry some risk of issue. It is best to buy matched kits to get guaranteed compatibility.

tnzz

Commendable
Jan 28, 2019

Yes but they pairing is more designed for 1440p gaming really. From some benchmarks and other posts people get pretty high framrates without bottlenecking at 1080p though, which I don't seem to be.

Is your 8 GB a single stick (which would not be a surprise in a prebuilt) which would limit memory bandwidth? Also, other bragging rights sorts of numbers from 8400 CPUs likely come with Z370 equivalent boards, vice the not as afressive (average boost clock speed/RAM timings, etc.) boards (, the H and B series variants) used by many prebuilts to lower expenses

tnzz

Commendable
Jan 28, 2019

It's 2x4gb 2400 dual channeled, I can pick up another 2x4Gb for £60 if thats worth doing?

It's the Asus Tuf Z370-Plus board that came with it.

tnzz

Commendable
Jan 28, 2019

With all 6 cores active I have a constant 3.8GHz (which I think is right).

The game I'm having the most problem with is Black ops 4, now in my task manager it shows 1% GPU while I'm on it and unless I cap fps at 80ish the CPU usage just goes through the roof. I used MSI afterburner and looked and that said 30% GPU, which still seems stupidly low for a mix of high/off settings.

I guess this game isn't friends with the 8400! :/

I’ve seen several reports of hex core CPU’s maxing out in a handful of games now. This seems about right with a 1070Ti at 1080p.

16gb RAM may help a little by reducing the caching between the storage drive and RAM however buying another 2x4gb does carry some risk of issue. It is best to buy matched kits to get guaranteed compatibility.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS