Help with IDE RAID

No_Tone

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Well I have 2 IBM hard drives both 30.7 GB and 7200 rpm. The problem is that I'm trying to set those two up using RAID 0+1 and I've been looking for a IDE RAID controller card that would do it. I found the one by Promise, but it says that in order to have 0+1, you need 4 HDDs and only 2 HDDs can have RAID 0 or RAID 1. Is this correct? Then I found a card from Epox that says it can have RAID 0+1, but I only see two channels (sockets) for IDE while the Promise card needed 4 channels. I'm new to RAID and I'm not really sure how to set it up. So would the two drives go on the same channel or on seperate channels? All I want to know is the best configuration for RAID 0+1 using 2 IBM 30.7 GB, 7200rpm HDDs and how to set it up I guess. Anyways thanks to anyone who helps me.

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
hi-
you will most likely see only 2 channels (ide connectors) on a raid card. though promise makes a card that has 4 channels. either way, you can only put 4 drives on a card. the reason raid 0+1 needs 4 drives is because striping takes place on 2 drives. while the other two are mirroring the two striping drives. if you have two drives it will be best to put each on their seperate channel. if/when you get more than 2 drives you can have a master/slave on each channel.