[SOLVED] Help with improving ram speeds

May 20, 2020
Hi guys,
first post here, thanks for your help in advance
I am having issues with improving my ram speed past the default speed of 2133Mhz. I have tried using XMP profiles to increase the ram speed up to the rated speed of my ram which is 3200Mhz, However, this is not stable and crashes every time I log into my pc.
I believe that this is caused by the fact that my (amd) cpu can only deal with speeds up to 2667Mhz due to the memory controller on the chip, although I am not entirely sure that this is the case. I do not know where to go from here and any help or suggestions you guys my have would be great.

Also, if you overclock your AMD cpu, will that improve the max speed that the ram can run at?

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600
MOBO - Aorus Elite B450
RAM - CMW16GX4M2C3200C16
If you guys need any more info let me know
Thanks,
Pongu

Solution
Only EXTREMELY rarely have people ever gotten 1st Gen Ryzen RAM speeds up to 3200MHz.

Try setting your RAM speed to 2666MHz with these timings 16-18-18-35 and 1.2Volts.
May 20, 2020
Yeah I didn't think that I was going to be able to get it up to 3200Mhz, but I just wanted to get it up to the max speed the cpu can handle.
I will try those timings and let you know what happens,
If I was to oc my cpu, would I be able to push the ram passed 2666Mhz?
Thanks for the quick reply

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
Yeah I didn't think that I was going to be able to get it up to 3200Mhz, but I just wanted to get it up to the max speed the cpu can handle.
I will try those timings and let you know what happens,
If I was to oc my cpu, would I be able to push the ram passed 2666Mhz?
Thanks for the quick reply

Not entirely sure how much overclocking you'll get from a R5 1600. :p
Let's first establish a RAM speed baseline and work our way up from there, with any luck we might be able to hit 2933MHz.