Help With instable system

G

Hello everyone i need some help,
running a
AMD TB 1.1ghz(not overclocked)
MSI KT7 pro-2a motherboard updated bios and VIA 4in1 4.25a
256 mb ram (pc-100)
Windows ME

Now i am finding that my computer tends to freeze up at times. Msi told me to get a better heatsink and thermal grease. I had someone else install the motherboard & chip(so don't know about the grease). and i did a clean install. My cpu is running about 46-49 degress c, is cooling my problem?
Thank you for any help

G

What video card and sound card are you using? Do you have the latest drivers from them? If your sound card is of the Aureal chipset type, many people have found them to be incompatible with the VIA KT133 chipset. Also, the VIA 4.25 drivers are OK, but I would recommend using 4.28. You can download them from www.viahardware.com. Windows ME is a little more picky on the drivers you use, plus I found it to more unstable anyway over Win98SE. Later.

G

I have the soundbladster live card, and i had the radeon 64mb, but i swiched it for a geforce2 (which helped a bit) and downloaded the latest drivers, i looked for the via 4.28 drivers but couldn't find them, (thanks for the link.) would getting pc-133 ram and bringing the heat down from 49 degress c help?
also my graffics card shares an irq with some serial bus controlers (sorry i'm at work so i don't know what exactly it's sharing but i do know it's not sharing my video card or network card)

thanks kn7671

BlackWyvern3

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I had the same problem for a long time and the way I fixed my instability was that I bummed the voltage going to the processor by one nothc and the core voltage by one notch.... I havent rebooted this time in about a week, where I used to have to reboot every day, or even worse every few hours due to freezes.. I have pretty much the same system as you.

G

Unless you are overclocking, PC133 RAM will not do anything for you that your PC100 RAM won't. As for the temp, is 49C at idle or under load? If this is the idle temp, how hot does it get under load? As for the drivers on www.viahardware.com, on the left side on the web page, locate 4-in-1 Drivers, click on it, then locate the 4.28 drivers on that page, download them, unzip it, and install them. As for the NVidia video card, NVidia released newer drivers Wednesday, 2-7-2001, so download that version and install them if you haven't already. Sharing IRQ's is OK as long as it is not a critical part or another card.

G

How would go about doing that? can i do this from the bios or do i have to do this physicaly on the board?
Thanks black

TRENDING THREADS