[SOLVED] Help with Installing new SSD on laptop ?

alecsus27

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2012
Hi! I plan to install an SSD of 500 gb on my i3, 1 tb HDD and 8 gb RAM laptoplaptop. Of course I'll keep the HDD on a caddy by optical disk tray (which I'll keep for external use, just in case). Looking for a clean install of Windows 10 Pro, instead of cloning it on SSD from the HDD.

My question is: if I want to delete Windows from the HDD (using the freshly installed Windows on the SSD) after I have both storages on the laptop, can I still keep all the other files I have there (pictures, Word files etc.)? Or the only option is to first back up what I want to keep on an external HDD, and then completely delete (format) the HDD? Notice that the laptop came with Ubuntu preinstalled on the HDD (which I only sed for a month, before installing Windows 10 Pro) and it's still somewhere on the HDD, I would delete it also.

I've read that I should first disconnect the HDD before installing Windows on the SSD, but I thought this is the case for external HDD. If I have the HDD inside the laptop, do I still need to disconnect it first? How should I do it?
Thank you!

Solution
Hi! I plan to install an SSD of 500 gb on my i3, 1 tb HDD and 8 gb RAM laptoplaptop. Of course I'll keep the HDD on a caddy by optical disk tray (which I'll keep for external use, just in case). Looking for a clean install of Windows 10 Pro, instead of cloning it on SSD from the HDD.

My question is: if I want to delete Windows from the HDD (using the freshly installed Windows on the SSD) after I have both storages on the laptop, can I still keep all the other files I have there (pictures, Word files etc.)? Or the only option is to first back up what I want to keep on an external HDD, and then completely delete (format) the HDD? Notice that the laptop came with Ubuntu preinstalled on the HDD (which I only sed for a month, before...

My question is: if I want to delete Windows from the HDD (using the freshly installed Windows on the SSD) after I have both storages on the laptop, can I still keep all the other files I have there (pictures, Word files etc.)? Or the only option is to first back up what I want to keep on an external HDD, and then completely delete (format) the HDD? Notice that the laptop came with Ubuntu preinstalled on the HDD (which I only sed for a month, before installing Windows 10 Pro) and it's still somewhere on the HDD, I would delete it also.

I've read that I should first disconnect the HDD before installing Windows on the SSD, but I thought this is the case for external HDD. If I have the HDD inside the laptop, do I still need to disconnect it first? How should I do it?
Thank you!
Yes. it's best to have only one disk connected while installing OS, if for nothing else but to have clear view to where it's installing or in worst case for OS to install partially on another drive, no matter if it's internal or external.
Aftere OS is installed and working, you are free to do whatever you want to second (old) disk. Windows will not let you change much on that old drive so you might have to use 3rd party program like Mini tool partition wizard https://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html to have clear GUI picture of what you want to do.

Solution

alecsus27

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2012
Hi, sorry for the late reply and thank you. I managed to install the SSD with no issues and speed has improved. There is one small problem though.
After installing the HDD in place of the optical disc (on a caddy), the battery halved its power. Is it because I now have two discs consuming resources and both getting somewhat warm? In addition, the caddy has a green light visible all the time (which sometimes gets very bright, probably when the HDD is working). But I didn't think that this might decrease the available power in battery from 6-6.5 hours to 3.5-4.

Is this a normal occurance after installing the SSD inside a laptop?

Yes, I used Paragon to handle the partitioning of both disks.