Help with LGA1155 Mobo & am I looking at the right problem.

Sffau_

Prominent
Jul 30, 2017
Hi guys - so my PC just completely shut off yesterday with a plastic smell. I initially thought it was the PSU that had blown (And I still haven't ruled that out but - but lights were still on when inside the machine, so my suspicions are that the PSU is ok) my main thoughts at the moment is that the Mobo shorted due to the dust that had built up around the top where I can't see/get to to clean for the last 4 1/2 years.

But basically - I initially removed from power, opened up, tried to dust off anything I could see around the PSU, fans, etc. Closed case back up, plugged it back in. Pressed power, the fans twitched and the power lights came on for about a second and then went off again. This happened again when I unplugged from mains and tried again. Still nothing good.

So I disconnected PSU unit from another pc in the house (It is a Corsair TX 850, my pc was running on a TX 750) - once it was connected to my pc, tried to power up. There was a pop and a puff of smoke. At first I thought it was the CPU cause it was from that area, but upon closer inspection it turns out that some of the trace on the mobo has been shorted. It's clearly scorched. Still not sure what the cause was. Perhaps just got too hot? Though I wasn't doing anything out of the usual when it died on me - watching Twitch and I had GW2 idling in the background.

So yes - my focus at the moment is on my Mobo as that seems to be what caused the fault. I am just hoping that my other components haven't been damaged in the process. I was wondering if anyone could help? Where can I look for a LGA 1155 socket Mobo these days? Or would it be worth just buying a new CPU and mobo any way?

Currently got a i7 2700k CPU

Thanks!

Sffau_

Prominent
Jul 30, 2017
Aye figured as much. Not really had to deal with it before so wanted a second opinion, thanks! :) Will be extra vigilant with cleaning this time.