Question Help with making my internet work

danipoz

Honorable
May 31, 2015
help.png
Basically i need 5 ports but my isp's router/modem only has 4 ports and also i need a wifi extender or something, this picture will tell what i mean, what do i need ? Another router, switch+ wifi extender?? Or what pls help

What you basically need is a simple switch BUT your requirement for wifi make is harder. Most devices like this are AP or some kinds of extenders. Problem is many times those have very limited ethernet ports.

What I would do is buy a inexpensive router and run it as a AP. You need nothing fancy because you are only going to use the wifi radio part. Like a router with gigabit ports that has a 1200-1450 number would be good enough.

Most routers have a AP mode and you just connect the cable to the wan port, which has been converted by the AP mode to a extra lan port. You then have the other 4 lan ports to connect your other devices to. In effect you have a 5 port switch that has wifi radios when you run a router in AP mode.

ajohnson30

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2012
How far apart are those two spots? Different rooms? Are you able to run a cable from the one spot to the other? Are we to assume your Wifi does not reach the second spot where TV3/PC2 is?