[SOLVED] Help with manual RAM timings of slightly different sticks

Mar 7, 2021
I had a look at a guide for manually setting my RAM timings, using DRAM Calculator and Thaiphoon, but I've noticed that I get different values on the recommended timings and I'm not sure how/if to proceed.

For background, when I built the PC I had 16GB of Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200, in 2 x 8 sticks. Later, I purchased another 16GB of the same RAM by simply clicking "Purchase this item again" on Amazon. This has worked fine, as I just put the two next sticks in the remaining slots.
However, when I export the report from Thaiphoon I've noticed that one pair of sticks is slightly different. One pair are manufactured by Samsung and the other by Nanya. They also use a different die.

Because my BIOS will not let me have different settings for different channels, DRAM Calculator outputs two slightly different recommended timings and I'm not sure which calculations to use or if I should manually tune at all.

Again, with automatic settings I have encountered no issues and the sticks have been fine in normal use.

Any advice would be appreciated and I can provide screenshots of the two different settings in case further information is required. I imagine that there could be a scenario where I apply the least "aggressive" settings across all sticks, but because I'm new to this I'm not sure which of the options would be the preferable one.

Last edited:
Solution
Diffrent types chips need diffrent settings. Some play nice together, others dont and when that happens you will get all sorts of problems and errors. You can try aggresive, use memtest to test the ram setup. If you dont get any errors, your good to go. If you get a single error, your ram will give problems and may corrupt your os and personal files.
Mar 7, 2021
I had a look at a guide for manually setting my RAM timings, using DRAM Calculator and Thaiphoon, but I've noticed that I get different values on the recommended timings and I'm not sure how/if to proceed.

For background, when I built the PC I had 16GB of Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200, in 2 x 8 sticks. Later, I purchased another 16GB of the same RAM by simply clicking "Purchase this item again" on Amazon. This has worked fine, as I just put the two next sticks in the remaining slots.
However, when I export the report from Thaiphoon I've noticed that one pair of sticks is slightly different. One pair are manufactured by Samsung and the other by Nanya. They also use a different die.

Because my BIOS will not let me have different settings for different channels, DRAM Calculator outputs two slightly different recommended timings and I'm not sure which calculations to use or if should manually tune at all.

Again, with automatic settings I have encountered no issues and the sticks have been fine in normal use.

Any advice would be appreciated and I can provide screenshots of the two different settings in case further information is required. I imagine that there could be a scenario where I apply the least "aggressive" settings across all sticks, but because I'm new to this I'm not sure which of the options would be the preferable one.

Jacozeelie

Respectable
Mar 1, 2019
Diffrent types chips need diffrent settings. Some play nice together, others dont and when that happens you will get all sorts of problems and errors. You can try aggresive, use memtest to test the ram setup. If you dont get any errors, your good to go. If you get a single error, your ram will give problems and may corrupt your os and personal files.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS