Question Help with Memory Speeds.

czLegacy

Prominent
Jun 6, 2019
Hi,

I currently have two computers. One that I am trying to sell on for money and my main computer. The one I am trying to sell has an i5-6600 with a GTX 960 and 2x4 DDR4 2133MHZ RAM.
My main computer has a Ryzen 2600x and RTX 2060 and 2x8 DDR4 3000MHZ RAM.

I have ran the Performance Test by Passmark on both Machines. On my main one, which is pictured below, I recieved a score of 2220 for my Memory. This is the 3 month old 2x8 3000mhz. On the other machine I recieved a memory score of 2699 which is significantly higher, considering this is 2x4 2133mhz which is quite old.

MAIN PC PASSMARK

OTHER PC PASSMARK

MAIN PC SPEED BIOS

This link shows that the memory is correctly set at the right speed in the BIOS so I am just wondering why it appears that my RAM is extremely slow even compared to the other passmark with 2 different types of DDR4 RAM at 2133mhz.

Thank you

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
What are the timings on the memory in question?

If the 2133 has a latency of like 12, then it may impress the benchmark they are running.
Typical latency for DDR4-3000Mhz is going to be 14-16.

Would depend a lot on how they are actually rating it. But I would say it can be safely ignored.

Anyone competent enough to question the memory on an i5-6600, probably isn't shopping around for a used locked processor anyway.

czLegacy

Prominent
Jun 6, 2019
What are the timings on the memory in question?

If the 2133 has a latency of like 12, then it may impress the benchmark they are running.
Typical latency for DDR4-3000Mhz is going to be 14-16.

Would depend a lot on how they are actually rating it. But I would say it can be safely ignored.

Anyone competent enough to question the memory on an i5-6600, probably isn't shopping around for a used locked processor anyway.

Hi, the latency for my DDR4 3000mhz is 59 which I believe seems to be very high. Nobody is questioning it but myself, I am just wondering why the other ram seems to be performing better. Thank you.,

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
59 what?

Typical timings for DDR4-3000 would be like 16-18-18-38, or 15-17-17-35.

If anything says 59, something is off. Even if it were 59 nanoseconds, that would still be atypical. Should be closer to 10ns, if they are attempting to measure the calculated latency.

Actually frequency should be 1500Mhz (Double Data Rate).

Can you list the exact model of memory. Run CPU-Z or check your receipt (if you have one with that level of detail)

czLegacy

Prominent
Jun 6, 2019
59 what?

Typical timings for DDR4-3000 would be like 16-18-18-38, or 15-17-17-35.

If anything says 59, something is off. Even if it were 59 nanoseconds, that would still be atypical. Should be closer to 10ns, if they are attempting to measure the calculated latency.

Actually frequency should be 1500Mhz (Double Data Rate).

Can you list the exact model of memory. Run CPU-Z or check your receipt (if you have one with that level of detail)
The RAM is Vengence LPX 3000mhz and here is a photo which shows me that the RAM is at 58 latency and it is in the red and 22% percentile which dosent seem right.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mwnd2bqs5w5u6em/gdshsdgf.jpg?dl=0

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Then I suggest setting the memory timings manually in the BIOS. Match them to what your memory says it is from the SPD values. CPU-Z should be able to show you the various profiles.

When I say model I mean exact. Even within Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz DDR4, there are loads of timings configs. The numbers I used above are both LPX 3000Mhz numbers. My personal one, and one I looked up quickly on newegg.

Again I am not sure what that test is measuring.

Ignore passmark and start looking at your system settings. CPU-Z is a good place to start, you can compare the profiles to the settings present.

czLegacy

Prominent
Jun 6, 2019
Hi guys thanks for replying, Here is the picture from CPU-Z of the 'SPD' profile for my ram. I honestly have no idea how these things work or what anything means and it would be great if someone could let me know if everything looks okay and what to do next.

CPU-Z SPD

Hello man

Honorable
Hi guys thanks for replying, Here is the picture from CPU-Z of the 'SPD' profile for my ram. I honestly have no idea how these things work or what anything means and it would be great if someone could let me know if everything looks okay and what to do next.

CPU-Z SPD

Wow -- that's wild. CPU-Z is reporting that memory running at 2133, which is interesting if its supposed to be DDR4 3000 memory. Do you know how to get to the BIOS? I'd like to see what is selected under D.O.C.P settings for memory. In an ASUS BIOS that usually at the top of the AI Tuning BIOS page.

czLegacy

Prominent
Jun 6, 2019
Wow -- that's wild. CPU-Z is reporting that memory running at 2133, which is interesting if its supposed to be DDR4 3000 memory. Do you know how to get to the BIOS? I'd like to see what is selected under D.O.C.P settings for memory. In an ASUS BIOS that usually at the top of the AI Tuning BIOS page.
Hi hello man, thanks for replying. I have an MSI X470 Gaming Plus and cannot locate DOCP in the settings as I believe that is only for ASUS. I have two screenshots below of anything I can find related to ram but i am still not sure what I am looking for. thank you so much for helping.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
You need to click on the Memory Tab NOT the SPD tab.
The SPD tab doesn't show the current settings, it shows the default speed (2133) and the XMP (DOCP) profiles of the RAM stick.

Look at mine, which were running at 3200 MHz (1596x2) when I took these screen shots.
SPD Tab:
View: https://imgur.com/RVFlnDz

Memory Tab:
View: https://imgur.com/7mwB3oa

Also you should run the Aidia64 Cache and Memory Benchmark (on the Tools Menu) to get accurate/reliable RAM speed results.

Last edited:

czLegacy

Prominent
Jun 6, 2019
You need to click on the Memory Tab NOT the SPD tab.
The SPD tab doesn't show the current settings, it shows the default speed (2133) and the XMP (DOCP) profiles of the RAM stick.

Look at mine, which were running at 3200 MHz (1596x2) when I took these screen shots.
SPD Tab:
View: https://imgur.com/RVFlnDz

Memory Tab:
View: https://imgur.com/7mwB3oa

Also you should run the Aidia64 Cache and Memory Benchmark (on the Tools Menu) to get accurate/reliable RAMspeed results.
Hi DMAN thank you for replying, I have taken a photo of the AIDA result and then a screenshot of the Memory tab in CPU-Z. I have noticed that in the AIDA test the latency is 74ns, is this normal? Thank you.
AIDA
CPU-Z MEMORY