Question Help with migrating to a new PC build

Antonn

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2014
I am in the process of moving to a new PC build and I've got +300 games and +200 programs installed across three drives. Everything that doesn't need to be installed is already backed up. I'll have a brand new m.2 drive to install new Windows on, but I can't possibly reinstall all the programs as I don't have the original setup files for all of them. As per games, not all of them are on steam/epic/ubisoft (I know what to do with these, that's not the problem), so it's the same situation. I've been trying to look at some solutions online but many of them include obscure programs that don't do the job too well or just create "shortcuts" which I feel like will backfire eventually. I've got AOMEI backupper and willing to buy any similar software that would help me do the job, but I honestly don't understand the logic of it. My games/programs would stay on the same drives- all I need is to incorporate new main drive and tell the new CPU/mobo where everything is, including presets/configs/save files. One kind person mentioned "clone to dissimilar" programs but would that copy the Windows itself instead of just the 'links' to programs/files? Would that cause driver conflicts on the new build?

USAFRet

Titan
One kind person mentioned "clone to dissimilar" programs but would that copy the Windows itself instead of just the 'links' to programs/files? Would that cause driver conflicts on the new build?
Do you want the whole OS to maybe transfer to the new PC?
If not, then that Sysprep or Clone to Dissimilar" is not what you're looking for.

Access to Steam games are easy.

In the NEW Steam client you install with your NEW OS, simply tell that Steam client what drive or partition those games live in.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

Programs are not in any way "easy". Most are not doable in any sense of the word.