Question Help with Modem/router/possible dual router and ethernet switch ?

Mar 3, 2024
Hello all,

Currently have an Asus AC1750 router and Arris SURFboard SB 6141. For the most part everything works fine, except that the router possibly seems to glitch out every now and then. Not 100% sure it's the router. Not really enough to be a big problem but wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade. Modem works fine also, but received a notice that our ISP(WOW) will be upgrading us to the next fastest speed internet for free, but that our current modem can't handle the upgraded speed. Figured I'd just get a new Arris surfboard that is docsis 3.1 as our ISP says that is what we need.

Also interested in getting an ethernet switch. I am currently using all 4 ports on my current router and need more ports to hardwire more stuff.

So can anyone advise on what router/modem, and switch to get? I was looking at a basic router and 16 port switch by TP-link and the arris surfboard modem. Also thought about just keeping current router and getting the modem and switch and see what happens. Reason for the 16 port switch is I have 7 things I can plug into it right now. Would like the extra room for future stuff.

As for the dual router, my detached garage is about 50' away. Wifi does work out there but is weak. I do have the capability of running a ether cable out there via a underground pipe. I've never hooked up two routers but know it can be done. I wonder if I had two hooked up would a device outside constantly be trying to switch between the two routers depending where your at in the yard?

Thanks!
Ron

kanewolf

Titan
Hello all,

Currently have an Asus AC1750 router and Arris SURFboard SB 6141. For the most part everything works fine, except that the router possibly seems to glitch out every now and then. Not 100% sure it's the router. Not really enough to be a big problem but wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade. Modem works fine also, but received a notice that our ISP(WOW) will be upgrading us to the next fastest speed internet for free, but that our current modem can't handle the upgraded speed. Figured I'd just get a new Arris surfboard that is docsis 3.1 as our ISP says that is what we need.

Also interested in getting an ethernet switch. I am currently using all 4 ports on my current router and need more ports to hardwire more stuff.

So can anyone advise on what router/modem, and switch to get? I was looking at a basic router and 16 port switch by TP-link and the arris surfboard modem. Also thought about just keeping current router and getting the modem and switch and see what happens. Reason for the 16 port switch is I have 7 things I can plug into it right now. Would like the extra room for future stuff.

As for the dual router, my detached garage is about 50' away. Wifi does work out there but is weak. I do have the capability of running a ether cable out there via a underground pipe. I've never hooked up two routers but know it can be done. I wonder if I had two hooked up would a device outside constantly be trying to switch between the two routers depending where your at in the yard?

Thanks!
Ron
You can put your Asus in the garage if desired. You want to toggle the "mode" on the Asus to Access point. That will make it an ethernet switch and WIFI source, but won't cause issues. Even though you have conduit, I would recommend running outdoor rated ethernet cable.

It sounds like you have to get a new modem if you want the enhanced speed. A speed boost probably won't be noticeable. Of course "free" from an ISP often comes with strings, so be aware of a future cost when some special runs out.
A new Asus router probably makes it easier to integrate with your existing one.
Unmanaged switches are pretty much all the same. TP-Link is no better or worse. I will suggest you think about a switch with some POE. I know they are more expensive, but so many things are POE powered. With a POE to USB adapter, even devices that aren't native POE compatible can be.

Mar 3, 2024
You can put your Asus in the garage if desired. You want to toggle the "mode" on the Asus to Access point. That will make it an ethernet switch and WIFI source, but won't cause issues. Even though you have conduit, I would recommend running outdoor rated ethernet cable.

It sounds like you have to get a new modem if you want the enhanced speed. A speed boost probably won't be noticeable. Of course "free" from an ISP often comes with strings, so be aware of a future cost when some special runs out.
A new Asus router probably makes it easier to integrate with your existing one.
Unmanaged switches are pretty much all the same. TP-Link is no better or worse. I will suggest you think about a switch with some POE. I know they are more expensive, but so many things are POE powered. With a POE to USB adapter, even devices that aren't native POE compatible can be.
Thanks for the feedback! Besides a security camera system, what else would use PoE? I would just have PC's and TV's plugged into the switch. I'm not against spending extra for future use, I'm just not aware of anything I would get that is PoE.

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for the feedback! Besides a security camera system, what else would use PoE? I would just have PC's and TV's plugged into the switch. I'm not against spending extra for future use, I'm just not aware of anything I would get that is PoE.
I power cameras, Roku (with POE to USB adapter), and network hardware. More and more devices are USB powered network connected.

My Motorola MB8600 was rock solid for years, the MB8611 however had constant random dropouts and comcast wouldn't update it to the latest firmware. So it runs on an old firmware on comcast. Don't buy the MB8611.

I replaced that with an ARRIS S33 and it's been rock solid for the last few months that I've owned it. Zero dropouts, rock solid. I'd stick with that for the modem, got mine for $99 on Amazon refurbished.

For my detached garage, I'd recommend buy a Ubiquiti Access point. The main reason being that nearly all Ubiquiti access points are capable of -30c to 70c temperature ranges. Making them perfect for outdoor environments. I'd had several wifi access points die in my garage before switching to ubiquiti. I use the UAP-AC-M in my garage, only $100 and it works really well for several years now. Like Kane said, it can also be powered by POE directly as well, from your main switch.

Last edited:
Reactions: lantis3