Help with monitor that works and doesn't work

walterg74

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
So I have this older LED Monitor, a Samsung XL2370.

Since I was not using it, I actually put it up for sale. Tested it first, seemed to work fine, and someone bought it.

The guy called me the same day because it shut itself off, maybe like seconds after an image first appeared. If you turn it off and back on, the image appears and the dissapears gain.
Note the the monitor does not power off, it is still on but the image is gone.

So he returned it, gave him his money back and now I am testing it. I'm finding some weird things...

I saw the same behavior, after a while the image did come up so I thought it was one of those issues that it had to "warm up" or something.

But then when the image dissapeared, I noticed that it was still there but very very faint. But what's even weirder, if I changed the image mode to the preset "dynamic contrast" the image came back!

It only works with this mode. If I switch to a different one it dissapears again! I tested it like this yesterday, leaving a movie in a loop constantly and it was running for about 8 hours straight, image always on.

I shut it down and this morning I went to try again and the same, no image, but after a while it did appear again, and works just fime in dynamic contrast mode only.

So.. Wth?

Anyone have a clue..?

walterg74

Distinguished
May 14, 2008

Yeah, sorry but besides not being at all helpful, that and sayimg "it's voodo" are practically the same thing...

Doesn't seem logical that one mode works perfect while the other don't at all.. If at least there was some correlation...

Today after having left it off, I went to get it again to show someone that asked me if a PC monitor could be used with a PS3 (yeah, I know...)...

Anyway, I tried playing around with it and nothing, same "usual" situation that the LED does not tun on. After playing around with no results, I decided to just pop it open and check for those bad caps.

To my surprise the caps that are visible all looked just fine... I read also it could be the inverter, but not sure how to check that.

So in any case, closed it all up amd tried it again. Same thing ad could not get it to work. However, after using a line to shine on it from the front, so I could make out the menu options, it see,s the monitor has an AV mode and a PC mode. Seems it defalts to AV mode, amd im it, no matter what type of preset I select, still doesn't turn on the LED.
*BUT* and here is the weird thing again, I switched it to PC mode, and then I went into the presets and once again selectimg "Dynamic Contrast", BOOM, led on great picture...

Attached some screenshots but wth is going on with this monitor?

Btw, once I set it to this and it comes full on, the image does not go away ever... Like I left it for hours with movies in a loop and it just works.

Only after unplugging it probably that I guess at some point it reverts to the default AV ,ode does it show the symptom again.