Help with Monitor (Urgent)

franches

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2014
Hello gents, I recently torn appart my old PC which I changed the paste aswell as cleaned all dust
So after mounting the PC, I found out that the PC would turn on but there was just no display. I am using 1680x1050 res and i made sure its not the monitors issue since i just used the monitor with my new computer.The PC turns on kinda strange, i push the start button and it dosent boot, but half a second later the PC turns on..... Im really worried since all family pictures are in there and i dont want to lose them :(

George Mulligan

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014
There are many possible causes. You might have damaged components while cleaning the internals (if not done properly, it's a great way to generate static and cause damage). Or, you may simply have a RAM stick or other component not properly seated. You mentioned changing paste- CPU thermal paste? Not sure why you would do this, but if you did, try reseating the CPU very carefully.

The good news is that the data on your hard drive is more than likely fine. You just can't access it, because your computer won't fire up. In the worst case, if some component has failed, you can move the hard drive to another computer and get the data. By the way, find and implement a backup, either on the cloud or with an external backup drive! Hard drives do fail, and when yours does, I hope you have your data copied somewhere.

franches

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2014

Dident want to chose as best answer but accidentaly clicked on it xD, well I cannot reasemble it now because a sata cable is broken, but i would like to ask if I could combine diffrent looking sata cabls (I know it sounds strange im a n00b)

George Mulligan

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014
SATA data cables are universal- looks are not important. Some have 90 deg. turns, some have different locking features, but they're functionally the same.

Power cables, including SATA power cables are NOT universal on the PSU side, so you must use power cables supplied by your PSU manufacturer for the model you have.

franches

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2014

Well, should i just buy a used 775 cpu, or new mobo....BMW for got to mention that I inserted the gpu In the slot, but it looks like its 9.7/10 in since I tied it up with a wire, not with screws and I feel like its not contacting with the pice express lane :/