[SOLVED] Help with monitor

Nov 15, 2021
So I have a laptop with an i5-8300h and a gtx 1050 and I have an external monitor (Asus VG278QR) connected to it via HDMI. I have this issue where when certain light switches are flipped in my house and also when an app is using my mic and I speak, my monitor will turn black for like 2-3 seconds and then turn back on. The monitor isn't turning off, the screen just goes completely black for like 2-3 seconds. Is there anything I can do to fix this, I've tried updating drivers, changing cables like twice and even getting a replacement from Asus for the monitor and none of them seemed to fix the problem. Is there anything I can do? Thanks.

Solution
it's been happening in both my old house and the house I currently live in.
the only way lights being switched on in another room is going to affect your system is if there are problems with the wiring in the house.

if it's happened at two different addresses then you're either extremely unlucky or it is not what you think it is causing the issues with your display.
it's possible the lights being switched on was just a coincidence you noticed and not actually tied to the issue.
Nov 15, 2021
are you using a reliable surge protector for both laptop & display?
I have before, it didn't seem to fix the problem, I'll try it again but I don't think it has anything to do with the electrical working of the house because I've moved and it's been happening in both my old house and the house I currently live in.

it's been happening in both my old house and the house I currently live in.
the only way lights being switched on in another room is going to affect your system is if there are problems with the wiring in the house.

if it's happened at two different addresses then you're either extremely unlucky or it is not what you think it is causing the issues with your display.
it's possible the lights being switched on was just a coincidence you noticed and not actually tied to the issue.

Solution
Nov 15, 2021

It's possible ig, but then what's causing the problem when an application is using my microphone and I speak, the monitor also goes black for 2-3 when that happens, that shouldn't have to do with my house and probably something with either my cable or system.

what's causing the problem when an application is using my microphone and I speak, the monitor also goes black for 2-3 when that happens
it's possible that there is a mic/headphone bypass option with your monitor and the system is "deciding" if it should use this device or the motherboard's onboard audio.
while searching for connected components it could theoretically cause an issue with the display.

but if the issue were tied to this you should be able to select your default audio device and your default communications device in Control Panel > Sound so that the system will know which device to connect to and shouldn't need to search between sources.
also try disabling any ASUS monitor related audio devices in Sound's "Play" & "Recording" tabs.

Nov 15, 2021
it's possible that there is a mic/headphone bypass option with your monitor and the system is "deciding" if it should use this device or the motherboard's onboard audio.
while searching for connected components it could theoretically cause an issue with the display.

but if the issue were tied to this you should be able to select your default audio device and your default communications device in Control Panel > Sound so that the system will know which device to connect to and shouldn't need to search between sources.
also try disabling any ASUS monitor related audio devices in Sound's "Play" & "Recording" tabs.
I already had a default recording and playback device set (both of which were my headset which is what I wanted) and I tried disabling the monitor's sound in control panel but the problem persists with other devices when they're recording.