Help with Monitors?

KylonM

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015
Well, I'm currently coming to the end of my computer build and the only other thing I really need is Monitors. I'm an amateur at building computers so I'm not sure if this was a smart choice (leaving monitors till the end), but it seems to be the part I'm having the most trouble with (yes i did say "monitors", I want 2 of them.) Please remember I want to spend as little as possible on these monitors.

I have a MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4g video card, and I'm wondering exactly what kind of monitors I should get. I'm going to be using the computer for gaming and video editing, and am not sure exactly what is the best choice for monitors.

First question: should i spend the extra money for 144hz monitors? I'm not exactly sure what is so special about these monitors but people say once you go to 144hz, you won't go back. Plus, from what I've read, to get the best out of 144hz monitors, dvi ports are the way to go (and my graphics card has two of them). Please remember I want to spend as little as possible on these monitors.

Second question: Is 1ms response time more important that 144hz? I've seen a lot of prices on certain monitors, and I've realized that I'm probably going to have to choose between 1ms and 144hz. If they have both, they're normally too expensive than my budget. so which is more important?

Solution
IPS panels display accurate colors. TN panels don't, it's a limitation of the TN technology.

Yes, you're wrong in saying that. On a 60 Hz panel, 5 and 1 ms are identical. But keep in mind that a bad 1 ms monitor can have a higher maximum than a good 5 ms. Monitors today are fast enough. If the 60 Hz 1 ms monitors really got rid of ghosting, then there's no need for higher refresh rates other than for 3D.

The pixels on an LCD are always on. This means that we have a set update frequency. At 60 Hz, the monitor will ask for a frame from the GPU every 16.67 ms (1/60=16.67). However at 144 Hz, it updates every 6.9 ms (1/144), this is what gets rid of ghosting, the extra 84 frames per second.

Grey-to-grey response times are used purely...
Hello,

I want to start with saying that the response time spec should be forever ignored, it doesn't mean anything to any experts out there. It does however, mean a lot to the gaming brands fancy gamer following and their commercials boasting about it. 144 Hz monitor is beter than 60, you likely won't be able to go back, that's true. But would you rather have mismatching colors, your main monitor being 144 Hz TN, and your second being 60 Hz IPS? I would personally get two of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009483 Nothing beats it at this price point, the only downside, which is expected. Is that it doesn't have a VESA mount, but they'll look great side by side.

If you're interested in 144 Hz (1 or 2), then these are your best options:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014376&cm_re=BenQ_XL2411Z-_-24-014-376-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313&cm_re=VG248QE-_-24-236-313-_-Product

All the best!

KylonM

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015

im confused as to what you're saying about the "mismatching colors". plus, from what i've read, 5ms response time shows a lot of ghosting for graphic-intensive games and video editing. Am I wrong in saying this? good answer overall, just slightly confused.

IPS panels display accurate colors. TN panels don't, it's a limitation of the TN technology.

Yes, you're wrong in saying that. On a 60 Hz panel, 5 and 1 ms are identical. But keep in mind that a bad 1 ms monitor can have a higher maximum than a good 5 ms. Monitors today are fast enough. If the 60 Hz 1 ms monitors really got rid of ghosting, then there's no need for higher refresh rates other than for 3D.

The pixels on an LCD are always on. This means that we have a set update frequency. At 60 Hz, the monitor will ask for a frame from the GPU every 16.67 ms (1/60=16.67). However at 144 Hz, it updates every 6.9 ms (1/144), this is what gets rid of ghosting, the extra 84 frames per second.

Grey-to-grey response times are used purely for marketing. Lower isn't better, because they're fake numbers. Monitors have been fast enough for 5 plus years already. Infact, if that wasn't true. Then LCD's wouldn't be comfortable to use.

Solution