Help With Motherboard Recommendation

pEEpiNgtoM

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
Hi everyone, im building a new Vista machine (no it wont be my primary machine :) ).

Anyways, i was wondering what board everyone would recommend that will be preferably 100% vista compatible, or made for vista. Core2Duo or Quad Core compatible of course, and aslo SLI.

Also, would i be better off going with a core 2 duo or a quad core

And last thing should i go for 64x vista or just normal 32bit?

Sorry for all the questions but i havent built a rig in a LONG time.

Even though the OS may not be, im more or less looking for a board that is going to be compatible and is known for being very stable, and as far as the other things i asked about, any opinons on the matter will be fine

Also would rather the board not be picky about memory either

Thanks in advance for the help, and i was hoping to come out around 250 +/- dollars

RJ

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
Hi everyone, im building a new Vista machine (no it wont be my primary machine :) ).

Anyways, i was wondering what board everyone would recommend that will be preferably 100% vista compatible, or made for vista. Core2Duo or Quad Core compatible of course, and aslo SLI.

Also, would i be better off going with a core 2 duo or a quad core

And last thing should i go for 64x vista or just normal 32bit?

Sorry for all the questions but i havent built a rig in a LONG time.

Even though the OS may not be, im more or less looking for a board that is going to be compatible and is known for being very stable, and as far as the other things i asked about, any opinons on the matter will be fine

Also would rather the board not be picky about memory either

Thanks in advance for the help, and i was hoping to come out around 250 +/- dollars

All recent mobo's should be Vista Ready. The issue with Vista performance/usability is processor/memory/graphics. I build a cheapy mATX board with a Celeron 325(?), a 5700 AGP card and 1 gig of DDR400 that was Vista Ready. The thing to realize is Vista is having issues with drivers, software, and the like. I'd wait to install Vista. Maybe get a copy of XP from Newegg.com with a coupon for the upgrade to Vista. I think they wack you like $12 for shipping the Vista disc. Put it away for a couple of months until the bugs are worked out.

pEEpiNgtoM

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
well im doing this one piece at a time, itll be a few months before i finish, i was going to pick up the mobo and PSU this feb, and the go from there which is why im trying to figure out what to do here

Should i wait and get the mobo last, or would there be any reasonable suggestions

Also whats your stance on 32bit vs 64bit, which route should i go, and as far as 2Duo vs 2Quad

Thanks for your input, i really appreciate it alot

weilin

Distinguished
GA-965P-DQ6 Very good board with a semi-reasonable cost. Can be found on newegg for slightly more than 200. Vista ready (gigabyte already offering drivers for both x86 and x64 versions) and supposedly quad core ready. dual core C2D works beautifully. Stable as a rock, i know cause i have it. Good OC features. Of course it has SLI capability in case you ever want to go that route...

RJ

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
well im doing this one piece at a time, itll be a few months before i finish, i was going to pick up the mobo and PSU this feb, and the go from there which is why im trying to figure out what to do here

Should i wait and get the mobo last, or would there be any reasonable suggestions

Also whats your stance on 32bit vs 64bit, which route should i go, and as far as 2Duo vs 2Quad

Thanks for your input, i really appreciate it alot

64 bit has few, if any programs out. My C2D SCREAMS. Wait for the 2nd quater this year as C2D's prices will fall.

Go ahead and get the mobo. there's no technology coming down the pipe that you're going to miss out on. How many PCI-E peripherals do you see out today? There's usually BIOS upgrades for stability/compatibility issues. What you want to think about is if you want to eventually go crossfire, SLI or single video card. nVidia 680 mobos are recent, support SLI, but are kinda pricey @ $250. 975X mobos support crossfire. P965 boards support single cards and OC nicely.

I really like my Abit AB9 Pro mobo. I don't care about the single card support. It OC's nicely.....266 to 400 clock....no prob. 9 SATA connectors. uGuru is nice for tweaking the speed in Windows. Ribbon cable connector placement is kinda screwy, but how often do you go hooking up cables?