Help with my bitfenix prodigy build (1st timer)

filthkid

Honorable
May 24, 2013
I have never built a pc before. I choose the bitfenix prodigy because I really liked the look and smaller design. I am interested in learning more about pcs/ programming as hobby with occasional gaming. I cant afford a GPU yet and willl get that later. Please help/suggestions with the build below and perhaps cpu cooling advice. Thanks so much any anwser greatly appreciated.

Build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-I DELUXE/WD Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($189.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Mushkin Radioactive 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (White) Mini ITX Tower Case ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $797.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-24 12:14 EDT-0400)

filthkid

Honorable
May 24, 2013

I understand. I have already bought the case and cpu though. I am very patient and have done a ton of research. So I am up for the challenge. Thanks for the input though. But in regards to parts, how do they look?

filthkid

Honorable
May 24, 2013

Yes, in the future. And my budget is like 1 k not including graphics card.

filthkid

Honorable
May 24, 2013

I don't understand you didnt change the CPU?

filthkid

Honorable
May 24, 2013

Oh I see, Now I feel dumb. Is it like I am building an outdated computer before I hae even built it ? -_-

mattius92

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
Most poeple water-cool the Prodigy, I currently air cool mine, but one day I will toss down $400 for a legit water cooling loop. If you want to keep your optical drive you can fit a 140MM fan to the front and back vents, and one 120MM fan on the top above the MOBO.

I get good temps with my air cooled (Hyper 212 Evo) setup with a 3570K @ 4.0 GHz. But with your budget you could probably get a H90 which is a 140MM self contained water cooling unit from Corsair. You could probably OC to over 4 GHz with that thing.

filthkid

Honorable
May 24, 2013

with the 4670 k it will run on a different new mobo though. How much price increase are we talking about if I were to go ahead and return the mobo /cpu i bought

2. Also is there any need for more cooling with the current part list. or will stock fan be enough?

filthkid

Honorable
May 24, 2013

Awesome. Since you have the prodigy some more questions lol.

1) did you have problems with fitting power supply i read tis a tight fit (bay is shallow) almost everywhere on the great worldwide web.

2) Whats the eaiset way to perform the build. Ie/ installing what first
[currently, i have the case, cpu, and power supply] - still waiting on ssd, mobo, and ram

thanks for your help!

filthkid

Honorable
May 24, 2013

Um. Your kinda not offering advice. and being rather blunt. But i do appreciate the response.

However, I got the 3570K for 169.99 at micro center the cheapest 3570 i see on pcparts is 199.99 . So I really saved money. And now in the future after I research more into OCing [I dont have the slightest idea how to do it or what it entails] - then I will be able to.

mattius92

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010

Your PSU should be fine, but I would suggest getting a Corsair CX600 instead, I have a CX500 that fits fine, plus Corsair is a little better.

For installation, install the hard drive and disk drives and power supply first. Then take your motherboard, add the CPU and cooler, then install it in the case. Add the RAM after you have installed the mobo into the case. Lastly, connect all the wiring. The wiring is a little tight so make sure to get zip ties. Also the middle hard drive cage is removable. I suggest you take it out for better air flow. I don't think you plan on installing 5 hard drives.

G

there is little benefits to getting haswell for desktops unless you want to shell out more money all over and get an Asus ROG mini itx board that is coming out someday now along with a "haswell ready" psu.

G

I don't know if you did your build yet but here is my build... http://pcpartpicker.com/user/jessemawhinney/saved/1NbB
My build is really not a guide because it is not the cheapest but it is also not an upgrade. It's mostly dealing with sales and researching reliability and ready to be upgraded in the future. You should really look for a $600 Bitfenix Build guide on youtube by a guy named duncan3330 or something like that. I love my build though runs almost everything on ultra settings just fine.

G

I don't know if you did your build yet but here is my build... http://pcpartpicker.com/user/jessemawhinney/saved/1NbB
My build is really not a guide because it is not the cheapest but it is also not an upgrade. It's mostly dealing with sales and researching reliability and ready to be upgraded in the future. You should really look for a $600 Bitfenix Build guide on youtube by a guy named duncan3330 or something like that. I love my build though runs almost everything on ultra settings just fine.

i was never a advocate of itx from the beginning. there is no point when the prodigy is the size of a matx case yet you are limited to only asus rip offs for motherboards because no one else bothers itx given how niche it is

G

I slightly agree.. For sure when it comes to price. The z77 deluxe board of theirs is almost double the price and rarely goes down past $180 in price. Not really against mini itx though.

TRENDING THREADS