[SOLVED] Help with my build, pls

Kuci

Honorable
Apr 12, 2017
Hi,
It is a standard mid-tier gaming build (that’s what I am going to use it for mainly) I saw often on youtube, however I have some questions regarding the components. I realize that many modern games are more demanding but I plan to play them on PS4 as I cannot afford much more than the current budget. I live in Germany so the prices are in EUR but if needed consider 1EUR = 1$. I can potentially invest 100EUR more into the build.

Intel: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/rcBZ2m

or

AMD: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/VjvWrD

1. CPU + MB for Intel and AMD seem more or less equal in terms of price and performance. Any differences worth considering? Are both coolers good enough for the build so I don’t need an extra one?
  2. Should I be worried about the Incompatibility warning for the AMD build?
  3. The GPU is available to me for 300EUR second hand. My research says it is a very solid GPU. Is it an overkill for this build? Do I have better alternatives? I cannot give much information about prices as the second hand market changes pretty often. GPU is the only component I plan to buy second hand. Should i consider getting a CPU second hand as well?
  4. I searched for the cheapest DDR4 3200Mhz 16CL 2x8gb Kit ram and this is what I got. For the same RAM and the same price (60 EUR) I can get this one or Team T-Force Vulcan Z, G.SKILL Ripjaws V, Kingston FURY Beast. I have no idea when it comes to RAM brands, any tips?
  5. I have this case already.
  6. I searched for the cheapest PSU 550W Bronze 80+. Do I need more power? Or a better one (silver, gold) or a better brand?
  7. Just some 1080 monitor I found. Can I even consider gaming in 1440 with this build?
Any tips are appreciated.

Solution
What kinds of games will you play?
At one time, the rule of thumb was to budget 2x the cost of the cpu for the graphics card.
That is pretty much what you have here.
But, if you favor fast action games or anticipate a higher resolution monitor, then you should consider changing the balance towards stronger graphics.
OTOH, if you play cpu centric games such as sims, mmo and strategy games, then a good processor is best; particularly in single thread performance.
I5-12400 and 5600x are somewhat comparable.
Either processor can support a much stronger graphics card.
Since budget is an issue, you might look at the i3-12100 processor.
Here is a review:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-core-i3-12100-12100f-review
The F suffix...
No matter what you do you don't want that Seasonic B12 BC 550. It's low quality garbage. Yes, despite it being Seasonic, it's trash. It's actually not even a Seasonic design nor is it built by Seasonic. It's built by Holly (Who builds the 1st player garbage) and much like the Seasonic units built by RSY, does not represent the kind of quality that most have come to expect from Seasonic. I could offer more details regarding why this unit should be avoided, but they are probably irrelevant to you and to most. Suffice to say, you don't want one for that build.

And you SURE as hell don't EVER want to find "the cheapest" at any capacity for the PSU. You must realize that we're talking about the MOST important component in the entire build, right? If not, you might want to seriously do a little research before deciding to pull the trigger on ANY components, at all.

Please, read these.

And then perhaps you might want to take a second look at how you are putting together your system. START with the power supply, and build around it. No, you don't need the best one out there, but you DO want one that doesn't start destroying the rest of your hardware on day one, or create problems that you can never find answers for because it looks like everything except the PSU. Get something AT LEAST halfway decent, and preferably get the best unit you can reasonably afford without having to completely gut the rest of the build.

As for the coolers, that Intel CPU should be "ok" with the stock cooler, and the AMD CPU should as well, but I'll tell you right now to plan for a decent aftermarket cooler because the stock AMD cooler IS going to drive you nuts with it's constant cyclic behavior ramping up and down the RPMs constantly. I've seen them do this on every Ryzen build I've done so far with the stock cooler and now I simply plan for an aftermarket cooler before even ordering the parts. The stock cooler will work, but it's borderline capable enough and they are highly irritating with the pitch of the hum they make and constantly up and down.

Kuci

Honorable
Apr 12, 2017
No matter what you do you don't want that Seasonic B12 BC 550. It's low quality garbage. Yes, despite it being Seasonic, it's trash. It's actually not even a Seasonic design nor is it built by Seasonic. It's built by Holly (Who builds the 1st player garbage) and much like the Seasonic units built by RSY, does not represent the kind of quality that most have come to expect from Seasonic. I could offer more details regarding why this unit should be avoided, but they are probably irrelevant to you and to most. Suffice to say, you don't want one for that build.

And you SURE as hell don't EVER want to find "the cheapest" at any capacity for the PSU. You must realize that we're talking about the MOST important component in the entire build, right? If not, you might want to seriously do a little research before deciding to pull the trigger on ANY components, at all.

Please, read these.

And then perhaps you might want to take a second look at how you are putting together your system. START with the power supply, and build around it. No, you don't need the best one out there, but you DO want one that doesn't start destroying the rest of your hardware on day one, or create problems that you can never find answers for because it looks like everything except the PSU. Get something AT LEAST halfway decent, and preferably get the best unit you can reasonably afford without having to completely gut the rest of the build.

As for the coolers, that Intel CPU should be "ok" with the stock cooler, and the AMD CPU should as well, but I'll tell you right now to plan for a decent aftermarket cooler because the stock AMD cooler IS going to drive you nuts with it's constant cyclic behavior ramping up and down the RPMs constantly. I've seen them do this on every Ryzen build I've done so far with the stock cooler and now I simply plan for an aftermarket cooler before even ordering the parts. The stock cooler will work, but it's borderline capable enough and they are highly irritating with the pitch of the hum they make and constantly up and down.
Thank you very much for your reply. I read your post and will certainly follow your PSU recommendations as I don't want to f up my whole PC because i wanted to save 20 EUR. Once i find a good affordable model for me, how do I go about choosing between bronze/gold/silver/platinum or this is not as important? Also the wattage, is 550 enough for my build if it says in pcpartpicker that I need around 350W? For example of the top 3 you mention, i can get SuperFlower Leadex III Gold 550W for around 90 EUR and the price goes up with the wattage.

Last edited:

Kuci

Honorable
Apr 12, 2017
1080P IPS with FreeSync gaming monitor would be ideal for your graphics card.

https://geizhals.eu/corsair-tx-m-series-modular-2021-tx550m-550w-atx-2-4-cp-9020228-eu-a2584445.html
Corsair TX550M (2021) 80+ Gold Semi-Modular Power Supply €58.28

https://geizhals.eu/intel-core-i5-12400f-bx8071512400f-a2659495.html
Intel Core i5-12400F €178.00

https://geizhals.eu/asrock-b660m-phantom-gaming-4-90-mxbiq0-a0uayz-a2661036.html
ASRock B660M Phantom Gaming 4 €108.08

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B660M Phantom Gaming 4/index.asp
Thank you very much for your reply. I had no idea about geizhals.eu . So far ive only used idealo.de. "1080P IPS with FreeSync gaming monitor" care to recommend a 27 inch one?
Why do you prefer Intel or it is a matter of taste? Also this MB is better than the one i had (price seems the same)?

Reactions: Why_Me
Also the wattage, is 550 enough for my build if it says in pcpartpicker that I need around 350W? For example of the top 3 you mention, i can get SuperFlower Leadex III Gold 550W
550w meets the requirements. 650w, if it's a decent model, would be better but you can get by just fine with a GOOD 550w unit. That Leadex III IS a "good" model, so you should be fine with that. If there is not a major difference in price between that and a good 650w model I'd probably opt for the 650w because it allows you a lot more headroom for spikes and for the PSU to degrade somewhat in terms of capacity over time, but also so that if you should decide to upgrade at some point to a better card, say you come across a deal that is too good to pass up, you don't end up needing to buy a different power supply.

If that is unlikely to be an eventuality then you could definitely do MUCH worse than that 550w Leadex III. It's also a better option, higher quality, than that Corsair TX unit, which itself, isn't terrible either. It's decent. It's just not as good as the Leadex III Gold units.

At one time, the rule of thumb was to budget 2x the cost of the cpu for the graphics card.
But, if you favor fast action games or anticipate a higher resolution monitor, then you should consider changing the balance towards stronger graphics.
OTOH, if you play cpu centric games such as sims, mmo and strategy games, then a good processor is best; particularly in single thread performance.
Here is a review:
The F suffix versions will be some $20 cheaper, and you give up integrated graphics. I think having integrated graphics available is cheap insurance for graphics issues.
And, integrated would let you defer on the graphics card selection until you know more.
Start with a quality psu capable of handling a graphics card upgrade in the future.
Here is a handy chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
The 6600XT would use 550w.
To answer some of your questions:

1. the supplied coolers will do the job. Under load, they may become more audible.
  2. I would not worry. A new motherboard will have the latest bios to run a 5600x.
  3. The used graphics card market is going to be strange. Now that graphics cards are selling closer to MSRP, I suspect that many are selling old cards, intending to upgrade.
Then, also, Intel will enter he market soon, the effects unknown. But, I suspect that they will price aggressively.
On used, you have to know your seller. The cards are being sold for a reason.
It could be for good reasons, or, it could be a problem card.
I would more easily buy a used Intel cpu. Failure is rare.
Ebay will protect you as a buyer so long as you pay with paypal.

4) Ram from known brands will have lifetime warranties.
For ryzen, you want 3600 speed; for intel 3200speed is fine.
At equal speeds, lower cas timings are better.

5) nice case.

6) As above, do not go cheap on the psu.
Bronze, silver/gold... mean little.
What counts is quality. Look for a unit with a 7 to 10 yer warranty.
Stronger units will only use the power demanded, regardless of the max capability.
I think I would look at 650/750 or possibly even 850w.
Good discussion above.

7) Buy yourself a good monitor. Bust your budget for a great one if you need to.They tend to last a long time and you want one with a good image. If you buy a 1440P monitor you can always run at 1080P

Reactions: Darkbreeze
Solution

Kuci

Honorable
Apr 12, 2017
Here is a review:
The F suffix versions will be some $20 cheaper, and you give up integrated graphics. I think having integrated graphics available is cheap insurance for graphics issues.
And, integrated would let you defer on the graphics card selection until you know more.
Start with a quality psu capable of handling a graphics card upgrade in the future.
Here is a handy chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
The 6600XT would use 550w.
To answer some of your questions:

1. the supplied coolers will do the job. Under load, they may become more audible.
  2. I would not worry. A new motherboard will have the latest bios to run a 5600x.
  3. The used graphics card market is going to be strange. Now that graphics cards are selling closer to MSRP, I suspect that many are selling old cards, intending to upgrade.
Then, also, Intel will enter he market soon, the effects unknown. But, I suspect that they will price aggressively.
On used, you have to know your seller. The cards are being sold for a reason.
It could be for good reasons, or, it could be a problem card.
I would more easily buy a used Intel cpu. Failure is rare.
Ebay will protect you as a buyer so long as you pay with paypal.

4) Ram from known brands will have lifetime warranties.
For ryzen, you want 3600 speed; for intel 3200speed is fine.
At equal speeds, lower cas timings are better.

5) nice case.

6) As above, do not go cheap on the psu.
Bronze, silver/gold... mean little.
What counts is quality. Look for a unit with a 7 to 10 yer warranty.
Stronger units will only use the power demanded, regardless of the max capability.
I think I would look at 650/750 or possibly even 850w.
Good discussion above.

7) Buy yourself a good monitor. Bust your budget for a great one if you need to.They tend to last a long time and you want one with a good image. If you buy a 1440P monitor you can always run at 1080P

Thank you very much for your reply. The games I play vary a lot, maybe more towards the strategy genre, I just don't play multiplayer games if this is relevant. But heavy modern games I'd get on ps4 (Cyberpunk, Elden Ring etc).

"In single thread performance" seems that Intel wins?

I saw the i3-12100 "budget" build and I couldn't figure out how good/bad this CPU is as the reviews varied alot. The price is 100EUR for 12100 vs 200 EUR for 12400 and this is a considerable cut, however i'm worried i cheap out on a serious upgrade that I may have to do either way in the future, what do you think?

What better GPU should I be looking for (new or second hand) that will fit this build better?

I hope that's not a very dumb question but what is a good monitor? Should I just check the reviews? I can always just search for 140hz, 1s reaction time etc but this is what I did for PSU :D

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor (€199.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler (€39.98 @ Aquatuning)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B660M-A WIFI DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (€152.90 @ Alza)
Memory: Kingston FURY Beast 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL17 Memory (€62.90 @ Alza)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€84.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 6600 XT 8 GB NITRO+ Video Card (€455.99 @ Alternate)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox MB320L ARGB MicroATX Mini Tower Case (€51.90 @ Alza)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€79.67 @ Galaxus)
Monitor: Asus TUF Gaming VG27VQ 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz Monitor (€222.90 @ Alza)
Total: €1351.04
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-14 15:21 CEST+0200

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor (€197.99 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK400 66.47 CFM CPU Cooler (€34.90 @ Alza)
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€93.61 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Kingston FURY Beast 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL17 Memory (€62.90 @ Alza)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN570 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€84.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 6600 XT 8 GB NITRO+ Video Card (€455.99 @ Alternate)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox MB320L ARGB MicroATX Mini Tower Case (€51.90 @ Alza)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€79.67 @ Galaxus)
Total: €1284.76
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-14 15:27 CEST+0200

On the graphics card, look at a general gpu hierarchy chart like this:
https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/DqWuSY34Zsr7Z22N25e7Uc.png
If you start with a good power supply, upgrading a gpu is easy.
If you buy used, you can also sell your old used card for an upgrade.
At every performance category, you will find nvidia cards as well as amd cards.
Many will have personal preferences for one or the other.
Personally, I like the nvidia cards. But, that is probably just from being more comfortable with the nvidia driver system.

When available, I would look at the forthcoming intel discrete graphics cards.

If you have the means, pay more for the 12400.
The higher price smarts for a little while.
But, the second guessing you will have with the lower priced option will last a lot longer.

Multiplayer benefits from many threads.
But other games can not usually make effective use of more than 6-8 threads.
Virtually any of your cpu options will have at least that.

I would not pay too much attention to monitor speeds and specs.
I think, it is more important to be visually appealing.
This will be better for strategy amd mmo type games.

The best thing to do, if you can, is go to a shop and look at some candidates.
The best looking panels will be ips with 178/178 viewing angles.
This becomes more important as width increases.
I like larger/wider monitors.
If you can's see one in person, there will be some in depth reviews.
I would look at reviews from review sites, not personal use reviews.

If you look at the reviews on newegg, you can get some idea of quality.
Realize that most will post complaints.
Look at the percentage of zero or 1 egg reviews. Look at the reasons for disappointment.
Some are not relevant.

Kuci

Honorable
Apr 12, 2017
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor (€199.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler (€39.98 @ Aquatuning)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B660M-A WIFI DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (€152.90 @ Alza)
Total: €1351.04
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-14 15:21 CEST+0200

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor (€197.99 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK400 66.47 CFM CPU Cooler (€34.90 @ Alza)
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€93.61 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €1284.76
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-14 15:27 CEST+0200
Thank you very much for your reply. It had not occurred to me to check the other ddr4. For more or less the same price i can get 3600 cl18/19/20? Does this play much of a role? The more the better? Also the budget for both builds differs only because of the mb. Is the intel mb that much better ( 60eur more expensive)?

Kuci

Honorable
Apr 12, 2017
On the graphics card, look at a general gpu hierarchy chart like this:
https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/DqWuSY34Zsr7Z22N25e7Uc.png
If you start with a good power supply, upgrading a gpu is easy.
If you buy used, you can also sell your old used card for an upgrade.
At every performance category, you will find nvidia cards as well as amd cards.
Many will have personal preferences for one or the other.
Personally, I like the nvidia cards. But, that is probably just from being more comfortable with the nvidia driver system.

When available, I would look at the forthcoming intel discrete graphics cards.

If you have the means, pay more for the 12400.
The higher price smarts for a little while.
But, the second guessing you will have with the lower priced option will last a lot longer.

Multiplayer benefits from many threads.
But other games can not usually make effective use of more than 6-8 threads.
Virtually any of your cpu options will have at least that.

I would not pay too much attention to monitor speeds and specs.
I think, it is more important to be visually appealing.
This will be better for strategy amd mmo type games.

The best thing to do, if you can, is go to a shop and look at some candidates.
The best looking panels will be ips with 178/178 viewing angles.
This becomes more important as width increases.
I like larger/wider monitors.
If you can's see one in person, there will be some in depth reviews.
I would look at reviews from review sites, not personal use reviews.

If you look at the reviews on newegg, you can get some idea of quality.
Realize that most will post complaints.
Look at the percentage of zero or 1 egg reviews. Look at the reasons for disappointment.
Some are not relevant.
Thank you very much for your reply. I checked the chart and will be on the lookout for better deals for GPU.

Thank you very much for your reply. It had not occurred to me to check the other ddr4. For more or less the same price i can get 3600 cl18/19/20? Does this play much of a role? The more the better?
If it costs the same, what's the problem?
Also the budget for both builds differs only because of the mb. Is the intel mb that much better ( 60eur more expensive)?
The Intel board has 2.5Gb ethernet (if you need that or your home wiring and router can handle it). The Intel board also has WiFi 6 whereas the AMD board has Intel AC-3168 WiFi 5. The Intel has a couple USB 3.2 Gen2 10Gbps ports (FWIW). Most people won't need or be able to utilize any of those things.
Other than that, functionally the same.

Thank you very much for your reply. It had not occurred to me to check the other ddr4. For more or less the same price i can get 3600 cl18/19/20? Does this play much of a role? The more the better? Also the budget for both builds differs only because of the mb. Is the intel mb that much better ( 60eur more expensive)?
If you can get the 3600mhz for the same price then go for it. Otherwise stick with the 3200mhz RAM.

Less expensive motherboard to look at that will work fine with that 12400F.

https://geizhals.eu/gigabyte-b660m-gaming-x-ddr4-a2662756.html
GIGABYTE B660M Gaming X DDR4 €134.89

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B660M-GAMING-X-DDR4-rev-10#kf

Less expensive cooler that will work fine with that cpu.

https://geizhals.eu/deepcool-gammaxx-gte-v2-black-dp-mch4-gmx-gte-v2bk-a2211289.html
DeepCool Gammaxx GTE V2 Black €27.99

https://www.deepcool.com/products/Cooling/cpuaircoolers/2021/11879.shtml

Kuci

Honorable
Apr 12, 2017
If it costs the same, what's the problem?

The Intel board has 2.5Gb ethernet (if you need that or your home wiring and router can handle it). The Intel board also has WiFi 6 whereas the AMD board has Intel AC-3168 WiFi 5. The Intel has a couple USB 3.2 Gen2 10Gbps ports (FWIW). Most people won't need or be able to utilize any of those things.
Other than that, functionally the same.
Thank you very much for your reply. I actually just figured out that CL stands for cas latency so the lower the better. As for the MB, that's pretty advanced stuff for me so I'll probably go for the cheaper one.

Kuci

Honorable
Apr 12, 2017
If you can get the 3600mhz for the same price then go for it. Otherwise stick with the 3200mhz RAM.

Less expensive motherboard to look at that will work fine with that 12400F.

https://geizhals.eu/gigabyte-b660m-gaming-x-ddr4-a2662756.html
GIGABYTE B660M Gaming X DDR4 €134.89

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B660M-GAMING-X-DDR4-rev-10#kf

Less expensive cooler that will work fine with that cpu.

https://geizhals.eu/deepcool-gammaxx-gte-v2-black-dp-mch4-gmx-gte-v2bk-a2211289.html
DeepCool Gammaxx GTE V2 Black €27.99

https://www.deepcool.com/products/Cooling/cpuaircoolers/2021/11879.shtml
Thank you very much for your reply. I checked the MB from your first post, also the cooler which is cheaper than the other counterparts.

Reactions: Why_Me