Help with my first build? $1000 budget.

meowweom

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014
Hello. I'm planning to build my first PC soon and I need as much help as possible. My budget is $1000 for the computer only. I have a lot of specific questions that I didn't specify in my last thread so if anyone could help me that would be great!

1. I really want a nice small case. I was thinking of going with either a BitFenix Prodigy or BitFenix Phenom. Would they work with most parts? They both seem to be the same just a different design. I would like your thoughts on which one is best (If there's even a big difference).

2. I want to be able to play almost any game new and old on a decent setting. Is that possible with my budget? Would it be possible to play anything on a max setting?

3. This sounds stupid but I'm confused about the whole amount of fans and there set up. All of the builds I see all have a completely different set up and placement of the fans.

4. Water cooling. Does it really make that much of a difference? I've seen water cooling set ups in the exact cases that I want but it seems cramped. Is it needed or worth the extra hassle?

5. I want to have a lot of space for games. With my budget how much space will I be able to get and will it be enough? I plan to switch from console to PC only so I plan to play all games on it. My friend has an Alien Ware laptop (it's one of the top ones) that barely has any games on it but no more room. She said she sacrificed space for better performance in other areas. With my budget can I get a great amount of space + play the games that I want? What's a good amount?

6. Could you list a build or specific parts that would meet all of my needs and also fit in either cases??

Sorry for all of the long questions. I hope it's not too much I'm just really confused and new to everything and would like to learn as much as possible. Thanks!

Solution
Oh yes, I'd bump up to a better video card. This will give you ultra settings in most games.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($228.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 Performer 99.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($68.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Z97M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($126.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: HIS Radeon R9 280X 3GB IceQ X² Video Card ($259.99 @ Newegg)...
When you say 1000 dollars for the computer only, do you mean case, monitor, OS, keyboard/mouse? Or just the case and probably OS? Even if it's everything, a grand can build you a fairly nice pc that'll do everything you want it to do, just not on max settings for every game, although, high settings is very expectable.

meowweom

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014

No I do not mean the Monitor, OS, Keyboard/Mouse etc. I'm only talking about the case + what goes in it.

Easy peasy then:

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 Performer 99.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($68.95 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB TurboDuo Video Card ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy M Midnight MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($98.97 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.00 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $987.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

i5 Cpu that is overclockable paired with an mAtx motherboard that supports it and a decent AiO water cooler that'll keep it cool. You are more likely to see a water cooler in these builds because of the lack of space due to the mAtx of Itx form factor you are craving.

Good price on the Radeon 270x video card, and it'll give you a mixture of high/ultra settings on most games. Good price on ddr3 1866mhz CAS 9 Ram. 2TB HDD because having room for games was a concern for you. Went with the Prodigy case because there are more options for mAtx builds than Itx. You could actually save money if you don't mind switching to a *normal* Atx sized build, and you'll spend more if you decide that only Itx will work for you.

650w semi-modular, good quality Psu will power this build easily. Obligatory optical drive and OS completes the build.

meowweom

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014

Thank you so much for the detailed answer! I'm definitely going to look into all of what you have suggested. Also, the OS is not included with the $1000 budget. Is there anything you would change with the extra $100?

iceblitzed

Distinguished
i couldnt use either of the 2 cases u posted becaue of incompatiblity but hope ulike this

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MJXBhM
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MJXBhM/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($118.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($128.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($76.23 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Dual-X Video Card ($279.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: BitFenix Shadow ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $839.11

Oh yes, I'd bump up to a better video card. This will give you ultra settings in most games.

Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: HIS Radeon R9 280X 3GB IceQ X² Video Card ($259.99 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy M Midnight MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($98.97 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.00 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1001.85

Another option would have been to include an SSD in the build, but I'd honestly just get a better video card instead. You can add the SSD later. It'll decrease load times in games and boot up times by a LOT. However, it doesn't make the game run any better once you are loaded up though so it's not a concern if you don't have one.

Solution

meowweom

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014

Yeah my first thought was the video card. I might even be able to add a SSD as well depending on what happens with my money situation. Thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS