supahan

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
I was orginally thinking of a i7 920 build but realized I could save money by going amd phenom. This is what I have so far. I have not built a computer before so please make any suggestions or tell me if something I chose is incompatible. I do not plan on OC'ing at all. If you see any potential bottlenecks or where I went over board let me know. Should I ditch one of the GPU's and not go crossfire with this current setup? Will the PSU I chose be able to handle 2 of those Graphics cards? Also please suggest cheap and decent memory. Remember I wont OC so if I can go cheaper on the mobo let me know and suggest.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ965FBGMBOX - Retail

MOBO: MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

PSU: XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650W ATX12V 2.2 / ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

RAM: please suggest one and also let me know how much I need.

GPU: 2 GPU in crossfire mode XFX HD-585A-ZNBC Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB Black Edition 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported ... - Retail

HD: Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb

You might want to follow the guidelines from the link in my signature. We need at least a budget.

CPU: Go with the 955. It's a better for price to performance.

Mobo: That's a very pricey board because it supports 4 GPUs, which is not a good idea. I would go with the Gigabtye GA-790XTA-UD4 for $140.

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $115

PSU: Not a good choice. Stick to the major brands. Newegg has an OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W in a combo with the HDD below.

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB. It's the fastest, quietest and coolest drive out right now. It's in a combo with the OCZ PSU for $95 after rebate.

GPU: Not a good idea to Crossfire right away. For $50 more (about what you saved on the above), you can get an HD 5970 ($650 total). This card is two 5970s on the same card, but have been downclocked slightly down to the level of 5850s. So at stock speeds, it performs as well as the two 5850s, but can be overclocked much higher than the 5850s. Well worth the extra $50.

supahan

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Can you please link the memory you are talking about? The only one I see on new egg thats kind of like what you describe is :
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM - Retail

But in the description it says: "Specifically Designed to compatible with Intel Core i5 and Core i7 for Intel P55 motherboard "

Also is 4gb good enough for a gaming rig?

supahan

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Hey thanks for the reply. I never thought about a budget until you actually mentioned it to me. I would like to spend under $1000.00 Thats for you build idea, it costed allot but I got great information off of it and came up with 2 build ideas for you to critique:

I chose to stick with 965 because it was only 20 dollars difference, but if you think that 20 bucks is not worth it to make the upgrade I will get the 955 instead. Keep in mind that I will not be overclocking.

1. CPU: Phenum 965
2. Mobo: MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
3. GPU:XFX HD-585A-ZNBC Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB Black Edition 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported ... - Retail

All 3 are combo deal for $632.97

4. HDD: Samsung spin point
5. PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W

All 2 are part of combo for 95.00

6. Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $115

Total comes to: 842.94

This is my second build I came up with: (again if you think 20 bucks isnt worth it for the 955 to 965 upgrade for a non over clocker let me know)

1.CPU: Phenum 965 179.99
2. Mobo: Gigabtye GA-790XTA-UD4 140.00
3. HDD: Samsung spin point 54.99
4.RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $115
6. GPU: XFX HD-585A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video ...

Combo Price: 359.98

Total cost 849.96

What do you think?

I like the second one. You're getting a much better board for only $7 more. The other main difference is the BE GPU, which is just a factory overclocked GPU. You can do that yourself with literally 3 clicks with ATI's Overdrive software. You might be able to save a bit more if you looked into more combos with the HD 5850 or see if the combo discount is better with the Spinpoint.

That extra $150 in the budget can be used for an OS, optical, case or whatever else you need. If you don't need anything else (or at least not the OS), step up that 5850 to an HD 5870 for another $100.

supahan

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
That was actually the cheapest I could find i with all the combinations. I just want to make sure I order everything correctly, so while I am building I am not pissed. I have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Please double check me and make sure something wont fit right or if they are not compatible. Also let me know if I am missing something such as cables or anything. I plan on using the stock fan because I will never overclock. What do you think? Also will the case be able to hold everything?

So basically I will be getting:
1.CPU: Phenum 965
2. Mobo: Gigabtye GA-790XTA-UD4
3. HDD: Samsung spin point 54.99
4.RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7
6. GPU: XFX HD-585A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express
7. COOLER MASTER RC-690
8. Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

Also would you say this is a good game system for a 1000.00? or could I do allot better?

It all looks good.

One kind of interesting idea that you might want to consider: downgrade to the X3 425. Take the amount saved and pick up an HD 5870.

For gaming, the CPU isn't nearly as important as the GPU, and triple core CPUs are actually better than quad cores for gaming (proof). The difference between the 5850 and 5870 is that the 5870 will be able to play Crysis on high details at 1900x resolutions while the 5850 would need you to turn the details down.

Either way, you'd have a good gaming build.

supahan

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
You think everything will fit into the case I chose? Also since I am not overclocking am I good with the stock fan? I also dont think I will downgrade to the x3 because then I have to change the mobo and everything else. lol

Just so you know, if you are planning on crossfiring either the 5850 or 5870 then you will need a different PSU as the 700W OCZ ModXStream does not have enough power connectors for more than one 5800 series card. And if you don't want to crossfire then you can get the 600W version to save a bit of money.

4745454b

Titan
I personally would take an XFX over an OCZ. The XFX reviews have shown them to be really good PSUs, while the OCZs have been hit or miss depending on the line. All of which seem to have an X in the name so I can't remember the good from the bad ones. You don't need a new mobo if you drop to an x3, and its not a bad idea. For me whether you should depends on what resolution you game at, and what else you use the computer for. If you have a 1680x1050 monitor, I would stay with the 5850. I would also stay with the x4 if you use your computer for other things like editing/converting of A/V files, or other CPU demanding tasks.

You seem to be on the right track, everything else looks good.

supahan

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650W ATX12V 2.2

Would that psu be able to handle 2 5850's or is it too small? What kind of watt power supple would I need? I already ordered the ocz PSU but thinking about returning it for one with more pins. Because I may add another video card it the future.

It's a little small. I would get a 750W version of any of these brands: Corsair, Antec Earthwatts, OCZ, SeaSonic, FSP, PC Power & Cooling, or Silverstone

And I don't care what some number says above, I still don't trust it over any of the above brands. In addition, the OCZ review is from a 1.25 years ago (Nov. 2008). Things change quite a bit in a year. It also looks like the XFX is rather new. I'd prefer to see some more results before choosing over other very well established brands.

As far as the order of quality for OCZ, you've at least got that wrong. The Z Series is the best, followed by the Mod, then by the Stealth. The Mods are always more efficient and higher quality than the Stealths.

4745454b

Titan
So Admiral, you are willing to buy a PSU that fails testing? Perhaps I should call you mad instead. OCZ is starting to ride on name, some are good while others are junk. If you had actually read my links you'd see that the XFX is using PCP&C as the OEM, are you saying they are bad? Who made that OCZ? (hint, the OEM starts with an S, and its NOT SeaSonic.) Do yourself a favor. Don't buy PSUs that fail testing.

I'm not sure if the 650W can cut it or not. One, I don't know how many amps the 650W provides. Two, I don't know how much power the CF 5850 setup takes. Pure guess, if the 650W XFX can do 45A on the 12V rails you'll be ok. It will be even better if it can do 50A.

Again, I'm not saying the OCZ is the perfect PSU. I don't trust the review of it because it's well over a year old. I do know that the OCZ PSU is a good buy at $60, and gets fairly good reviews. I also know that OCZ is much more trusted as a brand, which does mean something in PSUs.

I know nothing about that XFX one. There is one review (the one you linked to) saying 10 out of 10. I can't take a chance on the PSU when there are ones that I ABSOLUTELY KNOW are quality at a lower price (Corsair 650TX, Antec Earthwatts 650W, Silverstone 650W).

BTW, OCZ owns PC P&C...

4745454b

Titan
So what changes have been made in that year? Your argument only makes sense if they actually made changes. $60 for a PSU that will die on you is not a good buy. OCZ WAS a trusted brand. Those of us who follow PSUs have seen a drop in reviews, and no longer recommend them. Sure there are worse PSUs out there, but I no longer blindly tell people to get them.

What chance is there? OEM is PCP&C, how is that taking a chance? (other then its also an OCZ PSU.) If that OCZ was made by somebody other then Sirtec it might have been a lot better.

I googled OCZ's OEM manufacturer, and found nothing past 2007 (which is when they bought PC P&C). At that point, they were using FSP, which is another great manufacturer. My guess would be that since then, it's PC P&C, but I couldn't find anything concrete.

I doubt that the PSU will die on you. In fact, I could counter and say that every unit will die on you (eventually). I don't blindly tell people to get them. If there was room for a SeaSonic or other extremely high quality unit, I would have recommended those, but there isn't. Why would you pay extra for an unknown unit when you could pay less for one of three I listed that have been exhaustively tested and are time proven?

Frankly, I don't particularly care what's changed. I just know that the XFX isn't a good buy right now with three PSUs whose quality is INARGUABLE.

4745454b

Titan
Dude, if you don't know who made that OCZ power supply, READ THE LINK I PROVIDED. Read the whole thing, its in there. Just because it has OCZ's name on it doesn't mean X company made it. Everything you wrote in that last post shows you didn't read the links. We can talk once you're updated.

If the price is right, XFX is a good buy. Its a PCP&C PSU, and has got good reviews. I'd trust a PCP&C PSU over a Sirtec one anyday.

Frankly, I don't particularly care what's changed.

And you do care whats changed. If you didn't your 1+ yr old review argument means nothing. They better have changed it or its a horribly junk PSU.