Help with my Motherboard and PC!!

eugeniosalce

Reputable
May 14, 2014
Hey guys, I build a PC like 3 years ago from scratch, to be honest, I am kind of outdated in whats new in the world of electronics. Thats why I am asking for your help.

I am trying to do an upgrade using the Motherboard that I have and get the most out of it.

My current motherboard is this one:

Gigabyte Z87M-D3H
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128599

What will you recommend for:
- SSD
- RAM
- Fans (How many my MB supports?)
- Anything else that you want to recommend to be up to date.

Currently, this is what I have in my PC:

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU
Intel Core i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz

RAM
8GB Kingston HyperX 1333MHz (4x2)

Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770

Storage
ATA WDC WD10EZEX-00R 1TB SATA 3 GB (Main)
ATA WDC WD6400AAKS-6 640 GB SATA 2 3GB (Storage)

Case
Cooler Master HAF X - Full Tower

Monitor:
HP 2310 on NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770

Power Supply:
Cooler Master Silent Pro M - 700W

Thanks for your help!

Solution
The improvements of an i5-6600k are not worth the money. A 4670 is still a pretty potent performer, investing 500$ for a Z170+6600+DDR4 for a performance gain of 10% in benchmarks but usually 3-6fps in most games is not really worth it.

Does your case run hot? Then get an additional fan.
At 120mm Noctua & Cougar are hard to beat, BeQuiet silent Wings 2 or Noiseblocker BlackSilent XL1 if you don't need too much air but hate noise.

Get a SSD. A Samsung 850 Evo would be nice for the OS and a few main applications.

A RAM upgrade can be done but it's not completely necessary. There are literally a handful of games that profit off more ram. and most of them are strategy games where the impact doesn't visualise too much. Unless you're...
The problem keeping the z87is your upgrade path is quite limited, and to be honest not really worth it.
Memory you have 1333 DDR3 so you could upgrade to 16GB
CPU, you could find an compatible I7 as an upgrade, like an i7‑4790K
Fans I see 4 Fans counting the CPU_FAN connector, but you could split CPU Fan connector with an 4pin to 2 4pin adaptor and ad more, or use a Molex to pin adaptor and let PSU bear the weight of the draw.
you have a 3tb for Main, that would be an expensive proposition to get a 3tb SSD to clone your drive.
you could I guess get a 250/500gb SSD make it Main OS drive and keep the other 2 3GB HDD as back ups.

all that said lets look at cash value for these upgrades
cpu will run you about 330$, the ram about 60$ ssd about 100$, so looking at about 500$ investment into older technology. Personally I would not do it.

I would just get a new DDR4 board with an new CPU (I5-6xxx series) and Ram
about the same money spent, but the value would be compensated by selling my old cpu/mobo/ram.

for about the same price as above I5-6600k, Mobo Asus Z-170, Ram DDR4 2300 16GB and a water cooling system
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kqbD7h

cheers

The improvements of an i5-6600k are not worth the money. A 4670 is still a pretty potent performer, investing 500$ for a Z170+6600+DDR4 for a performance gain of 10% in benchmarks but usually 3-6fps in most games is not really worth it.

Does your case run hot? Then get an additional fan.
At 120mm Noctua & Cougar are hard to beat, BeQuiet silent Wings 2 or Noiseblocker BlackSilent XL1 if you don't need too much air but hate noise.

Get a SSD. A Samsung 850 Evo would be nice for the OS and a few main applications.

A RAM upgrade can be done but it's not completely necessary. There are literally a handful of games that profit off more ram. and most of them are strategy games where the impact doesn't visualise too much. Unless you're playing BF1 it's not really a necessity.

Best upgrade would probably be the Video Card.
If you got the cash at hand, a 1070 is the best your system can sustain, but even a 1060 or Rx480 will.be a severe upgrade

Solution