Question Help with my network card

Santiago Andrea

Prominent
Mar 4, 2022
I have a lan with 10 clients that connect to a Windows Server 2016 by ISCSI through a Mikrotik GIGA router, with UTP CAT 6a Wired.
On the server there are online games like Fortnite, LOL, etc. The lan boards are Realtek RTL8111HN Gigabit LAN Onboard. I would like someone to help me configure
network cards to have a smooth connection. If someone experienced it. Thank you

By default the board is configured like this

1-Activation with LAN off - Enabled
2-Advanced EEE - Disabled
3-Reception buffers -512
4-Transmission buffers -128
5-Flow control -Rx & Tx Enabled
6-Disable Gigabit automatically -Disabled
7-ARP download -Enabled
8-Big Send Download v2 (IPv4) -Enabled
9-Big Send Download v2 (IPv6) -Enabled
10-IPv4 Checksum Offload -Rx & Tx Enabled
11-TCP Checksum Offload (IPv4) -Rx & Tx Enabled
12-TCP Checksum Offload (IPv6) -Rx & Tx Enabled
13-UDP Checksum Download (IPv4) -Rx & Tx Enabled
14-UDP Checksum Download (IPv6) -Rx & Tx Enabled
15-NS Download -Enabled
16-Network address -Absent
17-Receive side scaling -Enabled
18-Energy Efficient Ethemet -Enabled
19-ecological ethernet -Enabled
20-Gigabit Lite -Enabled
21-Moderation of interruption -Enabled
22-Maximum number of RSS queues -4 Queues
23-Power Saving Mode -Enabled
24-Priority and VLAN -Priority VLAN Enabled
25-Reactivate on pattern matching -Enabled
26-Reactivate in Magic Packet -Enabled
27-Jumbo Weft -Disable
28-Link speed WOL and Shutdown -10 Mbps First
29-Speed and Duplex -Automatic
30-VLAN ID -0
31-Wake on magic packet when system -Disabled

Just leave in on the default settings it is already use the hardware offload feature even though the tends to not do much. In theory it reduces the CPU load a bit but cpu chips are so fast you can't actually measure any savings.

The only things you might consider turning off are the energy and power saving things. This will not change the performance but sometime these options cause issue if you have long or poor quality cables. Any so called power savings is so small you used more electricity asking this question than you will save in the lifetime of the machine.

kanewolf

Titan
Just leave in on the default settings it is already use the hardware offload feature even though the tends to not do much. In theory it reduces the CPU load a bit but cpu chips are so fast you can't actually measure any savings.

The only things you might consider turning off are the energy and power saving things. This will not change the performance but sometime these options cause issue if you have long or poor quality cables. Any so called power savings is so small you used more electricity asking this question than you will save in the lifetime of the machine.
If this is for iSCSI, then jumbo frames being enabled EVERYWHERE could benefit performance. Otherwise I agree with @bill001g leave it on defaults.

most tcp optimizer stuff is not related to the nic....nic cards technically only do mac addresses.
The checksum stuff just let the function be done in hardware but it is a simple function that just basically adds all the bytes together to get a number. Its not like most cpu don't have idle cores that could do something simple.

Most other tcp optimizer stuff is related to changing stuff like tcp windowsize in the OS.
There are special nic cards designed to do the iscsi function in hardware. I know little other than they exist they are not something used in a small install only in large data centers.

I would not worry about this stuff until it causes you a issue. First worry that your disk and file subsystems are correct. These tend to bottleneck data transfer rates well before a nic card does.

Reactions: Santiago Andrea