• CPU: i7 10700k
  • Mobo: MSI Z490 Gaming Edge
  • RAM: Corsair vengeance 2x8gb 3200mhz
  • Cooler: Noctua nh-d15
  • SSD: WD SN550 1TB
  • GPU: Nvidia rtx 2070 super
  • PSU: Bitfenix whisper 750w
  • Case: Phanteks enthoo pro m

Here comes the issue, I got everything except the cpu.
I have read a review about the i7 10700 non-k telling that a simple power limit tweak can unlock this chips potential, closely matching 10700k performance.
Having cpus at the following price points:
  • i7 10700 335€
  • i7 10700k 430€
  • i9 10900 485€

Have in mind that i already got the z490 board. I'm not planning in overclocking at least in a short term, i just wanted a solid board that could hold 10700k power consumption, but reading that review makes me think about going for the locked 10700 at 100€ less or for the locked 10900 for a little more

What would be your best choice?

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Solution
If you are not going to overclock then go 10700...the power limit tweak just won't make a difference but will let it boost to it max rating all things be equal in terms of cooling as well.

The thing about the 10700K is the K suffix and of course overclocking. I have the 10700K and it is a mighty CPU overclocking to 5.1GHz at a 1.295v...Again as you are not overclocking the 10700 non K will save you money and will still be great across the board...

If you are getting the Z490, up the ram to DDR 3600 as the price difference is so small now and in some cases the same as DDR4 3200..

If you can stretch to the 10900 then even better...make sure your Z490 motherboard has support for PCIe Gen 4 as it will be supported with the new Rocket...
If you are not going to overclock then go 10700...the power limit tweak just won't make a difference but will let it boost to it max rating all things be equal in terms of cooling as well.

The thing about the 10700K is the K suffix and of course overclocking. I have the 10700K and it is a mighty CPU overclocking to 5.1GHz at a 1.295v...Again as you are not overclocking the 10700 non K will save you money and will still be great across the board...

If you are getting the Z490, up the ram to DDR 3600 as the price difference is so small now and in some cases the same as DDR4 3200..

If you can stretch to the 10900 then even better...make sure your Z490 motherboard has support for PCIe Gen 4 as it will be supported with the new Rocket Lake CPU next year on the Z490.

Reactions: javi.sau.96
Solution

javi.sau.96

Prominent
Dec 30, 2018

If you can stretch to the 10900 then even better...make sure your Z490 motherboard has support for PCIe Gen 4 as it will be supported with the new Rocket Lake CPU next year on the Z490.

Here, where i live, 3600mhz ram costs about double the price of 3200mhz ram. Not enough difference to justify the price.
Question now is, does the z490 makes any sense with the 10700 or the 10900? I think so because it unlocks XMP and the price difference is not that much between h470 boards for the features a z490 offer. ~50€

If the z490 does pair better with the 10900 i would go that way. And if there is not much difference in performance between a locked 10700 (unlimited power) and overclocked 10700k (5.1ghz as you said) then the k series cpu doesn't make any sense

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If the z490 does pair better with the 10900 i would go that way. And if there is not much difference in performance between a locked 10700 (unlimited power) and overclocked 10700k (5.1ghz as you said) then the k series cpu doesn't make any sense
It also doesn't make any sense to pair a Z board with a locked cpu either. The whole point of the Z and K is overclocking. Those parts cost more up front.

javi.sau.96

Prominent
Dec 30, 2018
It also doesn't make any sense to pair a Z board with a locked cpu either. The whole point of the Z and K is overclocking. Those parts cost more up front.

Yeah, but at 50€ price difference between a B460 and a Z490 isn't really better to get the Z490? Considering that price difference with a good z490 like the gaming edge. There is 10€ difference between the Z490 A-PRO and a good B460 lol

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, but at 50€ price difference between a B460 and a Z490 isn't really better to get the Z490? Considering that price difference with a good z490 like the gaming edge. There is 10€ difference between the Z490 A-PRO and a good B460 lol
Negative. Overclocking is one of the main things keeping Intel afloat at the moment.
Motherboards should be about their feature set; get the one with the features you will actually use, and not a bunch of fluff you won't - those all add to the cost.
Overclocking should not be viewed as a feature though; it's a hobby. If you're looking to one and done it, and not deal with possible troubleshooting later - or perhaps the passion for OC'ing isn't there...
I'd then point you towards a B/H-series board and a locked cpu Ryzen 3600X, 3700X, 3900X, and a B450, B550, or X570 board.

javi.sau.96

Prominent
Dec 30, 2018
Negative. Overclocking is one of the main things keeping Intel afloat at the moment.
Motherboards should be about their feature set; get the one with the features you will actually use, and not a bunch of fluff you won't - those all add to the cost.
Overclocking should not be viewed as a feature though; it's a hobby. If you're looking to one and done it, and not deal with possible troubleshooting later - or perhaps the passion for OC'ing isn't there...
I'd then point you towards a B/H-series board and a locked cpu Ryzen 3600X, 3700X, 3900X, and a B450, B550, or X570 board.

I liked this answer, that's in some way what i was looking for.

My choice for Intel on an expensive build is not performance wise. It is more for software stability and refinement. AMD 3rd gens cpus suffer from iddle power consumption and response. I have build many pcs with 3600 cpus and none of them go down to lower frequencies due to AMD power management issues. I don't like the fact of not having the cpu locked on the socket too.

Many thanks for all your answers

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My choice for Intel on an expensive build is not performance wise. It is more for software stability and refinement.
THAT, right there, was the other reason.
1)Software stability and refinement.
2)The best gaming performance, but the user must overclock and spend big.
Those are the 2 main reasons to stick on the Intel platform.

AMD 3rd gens cpus suffer from iddle power consumption and response.
This right here, is not an issue at all - never was. Just people too used to, and comparing a not Intel cpu to an Intel cpu.
It's not an Intel cpu, so it has to behave... like an Intel cpu??? What gives?

Ryzen 3000 - and probably soon to be, Ryzen 4000 - is just misunderstood by the masses. They should NOT be compared to Intel cpus - not even their older Ryzen parts. If anything, they should be compared to Nvidia's gpus!
-Idle power consumption is higher than Intel's, but that is a combination of the greater thermal density of TSMC's 7nm process and Ryzen 3000's boost behavior; they are frequently seen boosting to the advertised max, but very few threads are active, with most of them sleeping.
-At the same time, full load power consumption is actually lower than Intel's, and is that not what matters the most??? Why are people obsessing over thermals that do not affect the cpu in anyway?
-Even the flagship mainstream cpu, the 3950X, has a full cpu power draw lower than 200w. Intel, on the other hand, has a few cpus that can run over that at stock, nevermind overclocking... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
-Under heavy, or full load, these cpus will try to boost all active threads towards the advertised single thread boost. The cooler they run, the better - just like Nvidia's gpus.

I have build many pcs with 3600 cpus and none of them go down to lower frequencies due to AMD power management issues.
They don't need to. Unless, for some reason, you want to gimp their performance...

I don't like the fact of not having the cpu locked on the socket too.
Double negative?
You don't like that AMD doesn't have their cpus locked?
Again, it's not an Intel cpu, so why does it have to behave like one?

javi.sau.96

Prominent
Dec 30, 2018
This right here, is not an issue at all - never was. Just people too used to, and comparing a not Intel cpu to an Intel cpu.
It's not an Intel cpu, so it has to behave... like an Intel cpu??? What gives?
It isn't an issue at all, true. No one does matter about 20w more on iddle, having in mind that intel cpu is going to draw even more power at full load. It just looks like a crappy solution to an old issue:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/

Double negative?
You don't like that AMD doesn't have their cpus locked?
Again, it's not an Intel cpu, so why does it have to behave like one?
They don't. But if you are replacing your old thermal paste, the cpu comes off sticked with the cooler. At 500$+ price point this is not acceptable. Poor design coming from older chipsets that should have been addressed years ago.

That's my point of view. i see amd like a great choice for lower end computers but when it comes to higher tiers and price points... it's like comparing an overpowered renault to a rolls :tearsofjoy:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
They don't. But if you are replacing your old thermal paste, the cpu comes off sticked with the cooler. At 500$+ price point this is not acceptable. Poor design coming from older chipsets that should have been addressed years ago.
~Ohhh! You were referring to the MOTHERBOARD RETENTION BRACKET, and not the actual cpu and mobo.
My mistake!

It isn't an issue at all, true. No one does matter about 20w more on iddle, having in mind that intel cpu is going to draw even more power at full load. It just looks like a crappy solution to an old issue:
Can't make everyone happy.
Same can be said for Intel currently; same old 14nm node, pushing higher frequencies, while yielding higher thermals and power consumption - as long as the user doesn't remove the TDP limits, that is.

javi.sau.96

Prominent
Dec 30, 2018
~Ohhh! You were referring to the MOTHERBOARD RETENTION BRACKET, and not the actual cpu and mobo.
My mistake!

Can't make everyone happy.
Same can be said for Intel currently; same old 14nm node, pushing higher frequencies, while yielding higher thermals and power consumption - as long as the user doesn't remove the TDP limits, that is.
Anyway, many thanks for your help. We will see how 11th gen comes off. I may be updating the cpu to the 10nm node. Only time will tell. Thanks!