Help with my new gaming rig

Abdulaziz87

Commendable
Jul 25, 2017
hey there new to this forum! So i was looking into updating my gaming rig since its quite old but after so much research i really cannot make up my mind on what to do, my current rig specs are:

AMD FX 4130 3.8GHz
16gb ram
GTX Nvidia 970
ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Mobo
Some SSD and HDD dont remember what they are but sufficient memory on both

Now after all my reading I have decided to go with the I7 7700k and the MSI z270 pro carbon mobo, switch to DDR4 16gb ram, I wanted to know if i should upgrade my GPU to a 1060 or 1070 ? The gpu is quite pricey here in Kuwait and was wondering what is the best course of action to get the best set up for gaming? I do not know how to overclock a CPU so idk if i should go with the 7700k? My main use for the PC will be gaming plus basic browsing video watching and MS office stuff, should i upgrade the CPU and stick with the 970? or is the 970 obsolete? I have read the GPU is more important than CPU for gaming i just don't know if the CPU I have would be sufficient and was hoping the more experienced guys here can help me out, I am looking into taking my PC in tomorrow for the upgrades and would like it to be one and done, I play many FPS games such as ARMA, rising storm, PBUG. Any input would be great and if you guys think I should retain anything thats on my system please let me know as I am not very computer savvy

Stick with the 970, especially if your budget is tight. It's still a very powerful GPU, despite being an older generation (quite in the range of the GTX 1060 already). Prices of the GTX 1060-1070 as of now is high. Save the money and look forward to next gen GPUs (somewhere in the range of the GTX 1070-1080 equivalent, which is a more logical upgrade to your powerful GPU) and pair that with a good 1440p monitor, if such future savings allow.

For now, if you're at 1080p/60Hz, the GTX 970 is enough.

Abdulaziz87

Commendable
Jul 25, 2017

I ran a benchmark for the gtx 970 at Ultra using heaven benchmark, got a max of 63.6 FPS and min 8.7 FPS, I am not using a monitor I am using a 65 inch LG 4K tv for my gaming, can't stand the small monitors myself, I have seen comparisons for the GTX 1060/1070/1080 and tbh not very impressed with the 1060 or 1070, im not shelling out the cash for the 1080 tbh since you guys say that the GPU will hold up, I was looking at the Ryzen and I really think its a great bang for the $ but I have read in so many forums especially here that the 7700k is better overall for gaming, I would not mind going with AMD as however will all my games run without problem? and should i go with Ryzen 1700 or 1700 x if i decided AMD?

Give yourself another week to do your research. By that time AMD's Vega GPU line will have been launched. You will have many more GPUs to choose from. You will also know more about your CPU choices given the window.

I'd opt for the 7700K for a pure gaming machine.

Do you use MSI Afterburner while you game? That's a LOT of real estate for that 4GB card. How much VRAM does your most GFX intensive game use? Personally, as an owner of the 970 FTW from EVGA my next upgrade will be the 970 to a 1080 unless Vega has something to say about it. If I am to believe 1080 Ti bashing rumors it sounds as if it will. Finally AMD has grown a pair and with Ryzen and Vega have finally given Intel some motivation. I was bound and determined to buy the 1080Ti. But reality and my budget said no.

Abdulaziz87

Commendable
Jul 25, 2017

No I have not used MSI afterburner as I do not know how to overclock tbh, I am very interested in overclocking though just don't know how to use the software or what to do even though I read on them I prefer not to personally mess with them due to my limited knowledge. That Vega frontier GPU is $999 ! Not something I would spend the money on tbh especially not at the moment haha, Im gonna stick with the 970 till prices drop a bit I guess, I am VERY VERY interested in that Ryzen CPU I just don't want to have to switch it out again since I am mainly gaming:(

So I got the MSI afterburner software and selected some things to have them monitored, I will start a game and see what I get, I also have AMD over drive for my CPU, don't know how to use it though so if anyone can send me to a place that i can learn how to use it that would be great since im gonna upgrade my PC might as well learn on this set up i suppose

Ryzen:
+ more futureproof coz of more cores (newer games later on will utilize more cores)
+ more stability (less dips / smaller dips, higher minimum fps)
+ cheaper
+ free cooler (non-X)
+ all version OCable
+ B350 mobo are cheaper
- lower single core speed
- lower maximum fps that can be achieved
- bad history (their CPU seems to always lose to Intel's)
- people said that Ryzen will work much better if u get a high speed RAM too (3000mhz or so, they say the CPU is pretty dependant to it)

Kabylake:
+ higher single core speed
+ have better history than AMD's CPU (that's why people trust intel much more)
+ thanks to higher SC speed, more maximum fps can be achieved
- bigger FPS gap, meaning a big dip can happen
- Expensive (K version had no stock cooler too), yet u get less cores/threads
- Z270 mobo are also expensive
- some people said that i7 experience some stuttering in heavy games

im no fanboy, if u see my specs in the profile u can see that i myself use intel, but if i had money like u, i'll buy Ryzen anyway :) they had the bang in the bucks right now

Abdulaziz87

Commendable
Jul 25, 2017

Thank you for your non biased opinion! I am seriously considering the Ryzen now, read some great reviews about it and i don't really need the extra few frames, it comes with a cooler so that is a plus and I can probably have a friend over clock it for me, I have read about going with the faster ram ( DDR4 3000) so I am thinking thats the route to go, take the extra cash and save towards a better GPU down the line

I wasn't suggesting OC'ing. Just monitoring but it seems you got that too. You can look below and see I have GPU and CPU loads and temps., memory and core clocks, FPS, VRAM and RAM usage.
Far_Cry4_2016_11_08_22_14_29_543.jpg
And that is at just 1080p.

AMD Overdrive? http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2122665/understanding-temperature-amd-cpus-apus.html

To learn more about OC'ing I would search Youtube for guides/tutorials.

Abdulaziz87

Commendable
Jul 25, 2017

ah got it, I have done that just now and its not showing up like yours is, i can see GPU in the left corner in purple its barely visible its so small, idk if thats it or not but i'll keep messing around with it, for now i think im going to go with the Ryzen 1700, 16gb ddr4 3000mhz ram, gtx 970, what do you guys think of the ASRock x370 taichi mobo? do you guys recommend liquid cooling or is it not necessary at this point? i was thinking of getting that when i get a new GPU

Opening MSI Afterburner also opens Riva Tuner. Open Riva Tuner and there you can change the position of its HUD and the text size among other options.

Abdulaziz87

Commendable
Jul 25, 2017

got it thank you!

I'm an air cooler sort of guy. Simple and to the point they are. Maybe not simple to install some of them but their function is simple and transparent.

Abdulaziz87

Commendable
Jul 25, 2017

I think I have made up my mind, Ryzen 7 1700, GTX 970, 16gb DDR4 ram, x370 taichi by ASRock mobo, i think this should hold up pretty nice what does everyone think?

Hold up for high settings? Yes. The 1700 and the 970 is an unbalanced combo. I already gave my two cents earlier about the why.

Abdulaziz87

Commendable
Jul 25, 2017

you said it was alot of real estate for the 4gb, can you elaborate please? will the GPU not hold up?

you said it was alot of real estate for the 4gb, can you elaborate please? will the GPU not hold up?

Remember the test I asked about with your most graphically demanding games? That would be my answer. My answer was the same over here http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3477395/holding-back-playing-games.html

Jason_302 said:
By holding me back I mean that I can play the game fine 720p on the lowest settings but it just looks like crap. When I even turn the resolution in the game up to 1080p still staying on the lowest settings it gets really choppy and laggy.

Ah. VRAM, she is the ball and chain.

Consider

That pic I already posted up there^.

If my GFX card only had 2 GB of VRAM it would be slowing down the show because at that point in the game I was using over 2.7GB of VRAM.

That is why you should NOT opt for a 1050 2GB(non Ti) if you are not going to wait for Vega, which you should. 1050Ti 4GB is the weakest card I would recommend.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For you? I do recommend waiting for Vega. I'd want no less than a card that performs as good or better than the 1070 with no less than 8GB VRAM if I were gaming on your TV.

make sure it's DDR4-3000 at very least and that should be enough :D
hope u enjoy ur gaming experience :D

btw, if u need a gaming friend, u can add my steam on the low right corner :D

Abdulaziz87

Commendable
Jul 25, 2017

rising storm vietnam is running at
GPU 65%, 36%
mem: 2337mb
d3d11:62fps
cpu 40 celsuis
ram 5894 - 6065mb
this is on Ultra setting

Abdulaziz87

Commendable
Jul 25, 2017

so far the max has ben 3gb vram so I think I should be good to go, I can't find a the parts that i want for a decent price here ( about 200$-300$) extra so im gonna order my stuff from the US i guess and just hold on a GPU for later!

TRENDING THREADS