Help with my new SSD

epicsunset02

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2014
Hi everyone, and Happy New Year!

I decided today I would install my new SSD, and everything is working out good so far. I am feeling the increased speed already coming from a hard drive.
This is my new SSD. Click here.

I do have some questions however, because SSDs still do not make a lot of sense to me, and Tom's Hardware has never let me down before! ;)

1. I've looked at a few tweaking guides on the internet. I've done a lot of things so far, but is there anything super important that I should do now?

I mean, is there something commonly missed when people first go tweaking their SSDs? (IE: enabling TRIM, which I have done).

2. Ideally, what should be installed to the SSD?

I don't photo or video edit. I do some programming and school work on the side, and a lot of computer gaming. I mainly play a few games. From what I understand, I can have my main operating system on my SSD, and all of my most frequently accessed applications, ranging from video games to things like benchmarking tools, and all that good stuff. If I'm doing this wrong, let me know. I just want to be able to make sure I don't screw this up!

3. Will playing games fairly frequently and for long periods of time produce lots of reads and writes?

Again, from what I understand, I should be reducing reads and writes to the SSD. Will playing games affect this a ton? Should I be careful not to... uh... "overgame"? Or am I not understanding this properly?

4. I've set my old downloads folder, as well as my documents, pictures, videos, and music to my old hard drive. Should I worry about the TEMP and AppData folders?

I remember reading an article that you don't want these two folders on your SSD because they are just overall bad and start to take up space. Is this the case? Should I just leave them where they are?

5. In relation to my last question, will running utilities like CCleaner to clean up any unnecessary garbage from my SSD harm anything?

To elaborate, will running this program reduce the lifespan of my SSD? Is it generally okay to use on a daily basis? I just want to keep the SSD as clean as possible, and have it last a long time. I guess what I'm really trying to ask is: Does CCleaner eat up a lot of reads and writes?

That's all the questions I have for now. I'm normally pretty educated on general PC components, but SSDs are a bit of a mystery to me.

I greatly appreciate any replies. If any more information is needed from me, I will be more than happy to cooperate!

Thanks, and again Happy New Year.

-Sun

Solution
These SSD's have a warranty of 3 to 5 years, so don't worry about wearing it out.

You can run CCleaner without harming the drive.

The SSD should have the OS, and frequently used programs such as MS Office and image editing software. The HDD should get the rest of the data, such as music, and pictures.
These SSD's have a warranty of 3 to 5 years, so don't worry about wearing it out.

You can run CCleaner without harming the drive.

The SSD should have the OS, and frequently used programs such as MS Office and image editing software. The HDD should get the rest of the data, such as music, and pictures.

Solution

epicsunset02

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2014

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and for clearing up some of my confusion!

I have run into a few problems now, mainly with drivers. Last night I installed the drivers for my Logitech G930 Headset (So I installed the Logitech Gaming Software), and I started to experience some very bad stuttering on the desktop, as well as sound cut outs and just highly interruptive lag. I did some research and I concluded it was a DPC Latency issue. With what knowledge I had, it seemed to be the USB Port drivers causing issues, so I attempted to update those, and so far so good. The highest my latency has gotten was 1500 so far, and the DPC Latency Checker seems to conclude my machine is capable of handling real-time streams without any issues.

Another issue I've been having is with DirectX, and all of that other Microsoft stuff. I've also been having issues with installing some programs, which is highly irritating because I would like to update my drivers.

For example, I found what I thought was an update for Windows that installed DirectX 11 (running on Windows 7 SP1 by the way, 64bit), and when I downloaded it and let it run, it restarted my computer and... nothing. I looked in my programs and files and I couldn't find what it had installed. Okay, that's weird.

So I just left it, figuring it was installed fine, and went along my business. Next I wanted to update to the latest version of the various chipsets on my motherboard since the disk I had was from 2011. I found the Intel Chipset Drivers and attempted to install them, but literally nothing happens. It says that "it's been installed correctly", but again, when I look in my programs and files it is nowhere to be found.

I'm getting quite angry and worried at this point. I even tried to copy over a game from my hard drive and it launched without any problems, but the performance was absolutely awful. I figured completely starting fresh would give me increased, if not overall better performance, not the other way around. Like this SSD is completely new, and I had just installed Windows on it.

Things I have installed so far (going off a list from Programs and Features):

From NVIDIA:

NVIDIA PhysX System Software v9.14.0702
NVIDIA GeForce Experience v2.1.5
NVIDIA Graphics Driver v347.09

From Microsoft:

Microsoft Updates (every single update available to me through Microsoft Update on my PC, I left out the ones involving Internet Explorer (3 of them) since I don't use Internet Explorer)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 v9.0.30729.6161
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 v9.0.30729.6161
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x64) - v11.0.61030.0
Microsoft Assessment and Deployment Kit (I installed this to try and figure out the DPC Latency issue) v8.100.26866
Microsoft .NET Framework v4.5.1

Intel:

Intel(R) Network Connections v15.6.25.0
Intel Driver Update Utility (which states "Failed" every time I try to install INF Chipset Update) v2.0.0.29
Intel Management Engine Components v7.0.0.1144

Stuff on the motherboard CD:

JMicron JMB36X Driver v1.17.58.2
Bluetooth Driver
Intel Chipset Drivers
Marvell Driver
Realtek HD Audio Driver
Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver (which I have updated since the DPC Latency issue, and it seems to be working fine so far)

Other stuff:

CCleaner v5.01
Speccy v1.27
Mozilla Firefox v34.0.5
MSI Afterburner w/ RivaTuner Statistics Server v4.00
Furmark v1.15.1.0
Adobe Flash Player v16.0.0.235
Teamspeak 3 Client v3.0.16
Logitech Gaming Software v8.57.145

Sorry for the huge essay, but I am completely lost at this point. It seems now the SSD is causing more problems than solutions!

Thanks again.

-Sun