Question Help with my pc

Dec 20, 2022
So ive noticed it doesnt matter what i change on my pc, i always seem to be under performing for what my pc should be capable of.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/58095430
heres the bench mark for my pc.

So ill give some background, ive recently purchased a 2k 165hz monitor with freesync enabled.
I played high on life at full settings, i cant get over 80fps
I played rdr2 and i get near 70fps on high settings
I play gta v and i got 90fps
I play any game and i can never seem to sustain framrates or keep them high.

Now, something i noticed in afterburner is two things. One is my cpu speeds go from 2250ish to 3700 for a breif second, ironically when the frames drop.
the temps and usage between all is fine. cpu never really goes above 30 percent and temps never exceed 60 degrees on cpu

but that being said. on afterburner, i often get power limit and voltage limit flag up. someone please help me with this, its so annoying. i put so much money in this pc and its annoying it doesnt work as i would expect. i have a corsair 750w+ power supply to go with it.

i should be hitting way higher frames than what im getting.

I seem to think its either the mobo which is a b450 elite or the ryzen 9 3900x cpu. any ideas?

Dec 20, 2022
It could be a power limitation not allowing the CPU to boot to a faster speed.
Download and install AMD Ryzen Master and check PPT and CPU Power.

The Ryzen 9 3900X pulls 140-142W at stock , and it goes beyond 165W when OC or PBO.

I have amd ryzen master, but the issue i have is it seems to be happening because of shadows or msaa, If i turn shadows down the fps drops really fade away. But given the pc i have, i shouldnt have to do that

I have amd ryzen master, but the issue i have is it seems to be happening because of shadows or msaa, If i turn shadows down the fps drops really fade away. But given the pc i have, i shouldnt have to do that
You should started your post with that info, since you already know what's causing the drop in frames.

MSAA is computationally taxing on a GPU because it requires more memory, memory bandwidth and more power to be used..especially on complex scenes.

Dec 20, 2022
You should started your post with that info, since you already know what's causing the drop in frames.

MSAA is computationally taxing on a GPU because it requires more memory, memory bandwidth and more power to be used..especially on complex scenes.

i only really noticed it after asking the question, but i saw again, with the 3070, 3900x and 32gb 3600mhz ram, i shouldnt be having to do that surely?

i only really noticed it after asking the question, but i saw again, with the 3070, 3900x and 32gb 3600mhz ram, i shouldnt be having to do that surely?
I just got a response from a friend that plays RDR2 and GTA , his getting 98FPS & 132FPS average.
Ryzen 9 3900X on a X570 motherboard with 64GB DDR4 4000MHz RAM and a RTX 3080 on a 1080P 144Hz monitor.

So it looks you are right where you should be with the 3070 and a 2K 165Hz monitor on high settings.
If you are not lagging, then just enjoy the game and reduce some settings you might not notice when playing.

Last edited: