Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
My System Build!

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred=$154.99 -$30 Combo with Asus P6T Deluxe Motherboard

Processor: Core I7 920= $288.99 -$15 Combo with Vigor Monsoon II Cpu Cooler

Motherboard: Asus P6T Deluxe=$299.99 combo with Antec Twelve hundred Case

Memory: OCZ Platinum 1600MHz 6Gb 3X2GB=$119.99 comes with free mouse pad

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 640Gb 32MB Cache=$79.99

Video Card: His Hightech IceQ 4+ Turbo 4870 1GB= $296.99 with Free HIS S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Game

DVD Burner: 2X LG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA= $45.98 ($22.99 each)

PSU: 750W Corsair= $119.99 or mushkin 550300 800W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply=$139.99

CPU Cooler: Vigor Monsoon III= $61.99 Combo with Core I7 920 Processor

Extra 120MM Fan: Logysis Blue LED 120MM Case Fan= $7.99

Thermal Compound: Artic Silver 5= $6.99

Keyboard: SpecResearch USB Black and Silver Standard Keyboard= $6.99

Mouse: SunBeam Fireline USB Blue LED Mouse= $6.99

Monitor: PIXO 19" AT700S already OWN= $0 Already Own

total i can spend is around $1500

need help choosing between those two power supplies i would greatly appreciate anyones help thankyou!

EQPlayer

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
Go with the Corsair. They're one of the good PSU companies, the others being Antec, Silverstone, SeaSonic, and PC Power and Cooling.

itsfred2007

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
What about the Mushkin having a 64 amp single rail as well as a switch to make it a 4 rail PSU and its 900W peak as well as modular. Its a hard decision can more people please post some more opinions please thanks in advance.

I'll add another vote for the Corsair PSU. Mushkin makes great RAM, but they haven't proven themselves in the PSU market yet. Corsair PSU's are excellent from the budget 400CX up to the 1000HX. You just plain can't go wrong with a Corsair PSU.

To answer your question directly about the Mushkin, it's not reviewed anywhere.

You cannot rely on brand recognition when buying power supplies. It takes a whole lot of knowledge to design a good one, and most companies lack that. Of course, Mushkin and Corsair don't actually build their PSUs, but they do have control to some extent over what's inside.

Other factors to look at in a PSU is voltage sag, performance under heat and load, voltage ripple, etc. You don't really know these things until one of 3 or 4 people get them into their labs to test them.

Here's the review on the Corsair 850TX:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=126
That's one of the people that test them right.

Jack64

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
If your going for the 750-800, then I would go by what everyone has said...corsair....I had one...but I guess it was one of the ones that got thru QC, bad from the start...but all the reviews I have read say they are really good PSUs.....I however decided on the Thermaltake toughpower 1000W modular and I must say...it is nice...almost 1 1/2 yrs of running and it is still great, running my core I7 with a GTX 295 and no problems what so ever...I realize I am probably one in a million to get a bad corsair and it was 1 1/2 yrs ago, but if ya wanna spend the money on a system like your building.....get the best....and from what everyone on here says....thats the Corsair, but I like the Thermaltake TP 1000w not the 750 as they have gotten some nasty reviews...gues they dropped the QC on those. I also hear the 1200w ToughPower is really good also like 84% and my 1000W is 82% or so at full load. Just thought I would throw that out as another option.

4745454b

Titan
Exactly Proximon. I believe the Corsair units are actually built by Seasonic. I very much doubt Mushkin is making their own PSUs all of a sudden. The question then becomes, who is making the Mushkin PSUs? If you can, wait for the Mushkin to be reviewed and see how good it really is. As already pointed out, the Corsairs are excellent units, if you can afford them then don't worry about it.

A quick word about rails, single or multi doesn't matter much. 99%+ of "multi" rail units are really single rail units with limiters in place to turn them into multi rail units. The power is made at the same time for all rails. A true multi rail unit would have its own power generator for each rail. I wouldn't worry about whether its a single or multi rail unit at all. Who really made it and its performance matter a lot more.

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

The Corsair TX750 is made by CWT. AFAIK Mushkin is made by Topower.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Crosair +1. Can't really go wrong with any of their psu's. Muskin is noted as a very respectable ram maker, but like said above there psu's have not truely been tested/reviewed. PSU's are a totaly different beast from most computer parts. Reading reviews at newegg really arn't justfied. Most of the people that are doing these reviews do not have the proper equipment to really test the psu. All they can test is yes it turned my pc on or no it did not.

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

Didn't even mention what they used to obtain measurements.

4745454b

Titan
Until I see it from a "real" reviewer (Jonny, [H]ard, anandtech) I'm not sure I'd believe any other review. I read an article about 5 PSUs from a source I used to trust. They tested these 5 PSUs with a 9xxx quad and a single 9600GT. (for the 1kW PSU they did use two 9600GTs.) Measurements were taken with a digital meter, but there is no way two 9600GTs in SLI will come close to maxing out a 1kW PSU.

I've seen worse reviews. They tried. There's just no stress testing and what load tests are done are with a rather low draw system. Still, they managed to get some internal shots and such. If I was desperate and it was the only supply on the shelf I would likely buy it. The Mushkin name does have some weight after all.

itsfred2007

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
I like that the peak power is 900W and the fact that theirs a switch that can be single or quad rail on the 12V and also the modular cabling. For only $140. I also think muchkin carries its name pretty well. Thanks a lot for all your replies!

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Well, if you can afford it, obviously the muskin.

Not a brand name, but great reviews, modular and braided cabling, and 80Amps on the 12V Rails.

TRENDING THREADS