sony dual layer dvd+RW drive
500 watt power supply
plus it has OS
dont know what case it is though.

if i do get it from him is there anything different i should do
to it or change?
thanks for the info

Hey there...

That looks like a tasty morsel, but I would need to know some additional info. Why is he selling it? Maybe it's been having problems he wants to pass along to you.

What kind of RAM is it? 2 gigs of value ram with a high-end set up is asking for trouble. What kind of PSU is it? Just because it's 500w doesn't mean much, unless it's from a reputable and reliable manufacturer. The mobo is SLI, so YOU NEED TO BE SURE THE PSU IS SLI-RATED, ALSO! Otherwise, there's no guarantee it will support an additional video card in SLI mode. If you go to the ASUS forums, you'll probably find some sticky threads about compatible power supplies, and ones that shouldn't be used. Also, if you go online to the PSU manufacturer's website, check the product specifications. If it's SLI-rated, it will specify that info for you.

The bottom line is, go to newegg.com and start tallying up how much the parts are retail, and then figure out how much the system costs if it were new. I know that CPU is about $500, the mobo is about $150, and the vid card is about $300. If it's high-end RAM, then it's probably about $200-$250 bucks. Not sure about all those other accessories, but I personally wouldn't need two optical drives and the card reader. So, it really depends on what your needs are, and what you're going to use the system for.

If the RAM and the PSU are not high-quality, I wouldn't buy this setup for the following three reasons:

1: Partly because of the additional strain all of your components are subjected to without an adequate power supply

2: partly because if they are cheap, then you're not getting good value from buying them used

3: partly because it's just not worth buying a used PC without knowing what kind of possible abuse/overclocking/mistreatment/heat your system has been subjected to. Maybe your friend knows how to safely and carefully assemble a PC. Are you 100% sure he doesn't cut corners and jam stuff into place? Because pins are easily bent, and thin plastic can be easily broken.

However, I would recommend your purchase on three conditions:

1) If the RAM & PSU turn out to be high quality

2) You trust the guy 100% that he was super careful when he assembled the PC, and he NEVER overclocked his hardware. Overclocking shortens the lifespan of your PC and usually voids the warranty of the hardware.

3) You don't know how to build a PC yourself. After all, for only $200-$300 dollars more, you could easily order these same parts from Newegg.com and build it yourself. That way, you can have the peace of mind knowing that the parts are all under warranty, have never been overclocked by anyone else, and have never been abused or mistreated.

Good luck, it sounds like a big decision!

04MACH1

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
thanks for the replies guys. he is my best friend so i doubt he is trying
to screw me. known him for 20 years. he built it himself, and he's fixing
to build a new one. he said he would give me a good deal on it and said
it was a great comp. so i figured i would ask for some help to see if it was
worth it or if i should go out and by a dell or something. i will try and find
out the PSU and the RAM. thanks again guys i was nervous on if i would
get a response or not. but you guys seem to be alright.

Gunny