[SOLVED] Help with my PWM fans.

Haduken21

Honorable
Oct 14, 2014
I would like some suggestions regarding my fans.

My PC case is NZXT H440: https://www.nzxt.com/products/h440-white
I currently have three 120mm fans in front. Two 120mm fans on the top and one 140mm fan at the back.
My motherboard is the Asus TUF Gaming X570 Plus: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/TUF-GAMING-X570-PLUS

So: CPU goes to CPU_fan
The back fan goes to FAN1
The two top fans go to FAN2 and FAN3.
This leaves us with the three front fans. They are connected to the hub that comes with the case, but this does not offer any control, just power. I cannot see their RPM or control them.
How can I do it? I don't need separate control for each one, just to be able to see/control them as a group.

Could you guide me to a proper hub that would allow me to do this?
Also, where would I connect the hub to? Currently, I only have CPU_OPT available but I cannot control it through the bios.
Would be it possible to somehow control both top fans from let's say FAN2 and have the three front ones to FAN3?

Sorry if I don't make sense, but I'm new to the fan control thing.

Solution
The Hub included with the case probably does NOT need to be a "PWM version" in the sense of having FOUR-pin output headers. In fact, I don't think NZXT had one like that. However, I do see two different fan Hubs illustrated on their website. The case manual offered for download depicts a Hub with TEN 3-pin outputs on its sides and one power input at the bottom. Such a device would offer no option to control the fan speeds. BUT the website PHOTOS of that case show a Hub with EIGHT fan headers down its sides. Of these, ONE is white with 4 pins, and the other seven are black with 3 pins. This is the one I am accustomed to seeing. The Hub also comes with two additional cables that need to be connected. One of these actually is a two-output...

Haduken21

Honorable
Oct 14, 2014
connect that hub to your mainboard, its pwm

Do you mean the original hub from my NZXT case?
Unfortunately there seem to be two different versions:

I have the older one where the hub was not PWM, that's the reason I'm looking to buy a new one.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The Hub included with the case probably does NOT need to be a "PWM version" in the sense of having FOUR-pin output headers. In fact, I don't think NZXT had one like that. However, I do see two different fan Hubs illustrated on their website. The case manual offered for download depicts a Hub with TEN 3-pin outputs on its sides and one power input at the bottom. Such a device would offer no option to control the fan speeds. BUT the website PHOTOS of that case show a Hub with EIGHT fan headers down its sides. Of these, ONE is white with 4 pins, and the other seven are black with 3 pins. This is the one I am accustomed to seeing. The Hub also comes with two additional cables that need to be connected. One of these actually is a two-output cable that plugs into a 4-pin female Molex power output from the PSU, and it provides power both to this Hub (at its bottom) and to a separate Hub for LED lighting. The other is a two-wire cable that must go to a mobo fan header to bring to the Hub the PWM signal from that header's Pin #4 and to return the speed signal from the WHITE Hub Port #1 to the mobo header's Pin #3. This Hub design CAN control fan speeds IF it is used correctly, so let's review its details. IF you have this version of the Hub, it will do your job well.

This Hub is designed to require a PWM signal from the mobo header, so you MUST ensure that the mobo header you connect to this Hub is configured to use the newer PWM Mode for control, and NOT the older Voltage Control Mode (aka DC Mode). I do not advise letting it use an "automatic Mode choice" because that can fail to work. Now, the four fans included with that case (3 front, 1 rear) are specified as Model FN V2 units, and those are THREE-pin fans. To control their speed those REQUIRE that their signal and power source be of the older Voltage Control Mode system (3-pin) and that is exactly what the included Hub does. It "converts" the PWM Mode control signals from the mobo header into the DC Mode system for output to its fans. So all four of the fans supplied with the case should be connected to this Hub, and that will require a connection to only ONE mobo header.

You have not told us details of your two added fans at the top, but even if they are 4-pin models, you CAN plug them into the 3-pin ports of this Hub, and their speeds WILL be controlled in the same manner. In fact, I have seen posts here that suggest that this Hub may NOT work if there is no FOUR-pin fan plugged into the WHITE 4-pin Port #1. Whether that is exactly true or not I cannot say from personal experience. BUT it is for sure that some fan MUST be plugged into that white Port#1, AND that the mobo header involved MUST be set to use PWM Mode.

So, it is quite possible that ALL of your six case fans can be plugged into that 8-port Hub supplied with the case, as long as you make the right connections and set the mobo fan header to use PWM Mode.

Now, IF you do NOT have that Hub with EIGHT outputs and an input at its top corner from a mobo fan header - that is, if you have the one with TEN 3pin outputs only - then I suggest you have a couple of options. Bear in mind that you do have at least four 3-pin fans that need th older DC Mode of signals for speed control. You could contact NZXT Tech Support and ask how to get the newer eight-output Hub design that uses PWM input from the mobo. OR you could buy the one other commercial Hub that does this "conversion" trick: the Phanteks PWM Hub. If you need this latter option post back here for details on how to install and use it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS