Aug 25, 2019
so i am planning to upgrade my pc this november , my current specss are :
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD FX-4300 29 °C
Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M5A78L-M LX3 (AM3R2) 43 °C
Graphics
22EN33 (1920x1080@60Hz)
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner) 43 °C
Storage
465GB Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 ATA Device (SATA ) 31 °C
Optical Drives
ASUS DRW-24D5MT ATA Device
Audio
Συσκευή ήχου USB
and one of the changes will be this new cpu that i will buy : https://www.skroutz.gr/s/11139198/AMD-Ryzen-3-1200-Box.html , ofc i will change my motherboard and my ram to am4 but i wanted to ask you about the cpu i linked above which is the one i will buy ,the goal of this whole thing is to avoid my fps drops and generally have around 80 stable fps on fortnite, will that cpu be able to acheive that or make pretty much a difference on my pc or am i wasting my money?pls keep your answers simple and as much possible as short since i am a newbie on the hardware field

The cpu will still be a big upgrade from the cpu that you already have cause it has better single core performance. I would still suggest getting a ryzen 5 1600 or ryzen 5 2600 that going for really cheap now that 3rd gen is released and they are 6c/12t rather than 4c/4t and would be a huge upgrade. What is your budget?

Last edited:
FPS result depends on many variables, been the main ones (as long as vsync is off in game):

• Resolution you play: 720p, 1080p
  • Details Settings: Low, Medium, HIgh, Ultra
  • CPU
  • GPU (your video card)
  • RAM

Meaninig al this 3 parts will work togheter to show the image on the screen, if one is worst, it will hold back the rest (thats call bottlenecking).
Im not an expert on Fornite, but since both are 4 cores / 4 threads cpus, and yours is running at a higher frecuency than that Ryzen 3 1200 you would buy, I really dont think youre going to see more than 5 to 15 FPS diference between those two CPUs.

Even thought Fornite is a really cheap game on hardware requirements, If I have to pick a good CPU and GPU to play at around 80+ FPS (with medium settings), I will try to go with a Ryzen 5 1600 CPU, and a GPU with at least 4GB DDR5 of VRAM like a GTX 1050, 1050ti or a comparable Radeon card

Like tylerd120 wrote, if youre on a really tight budget, a Ryzen 5 1400 (4 cores/8threads) will be a way better value than a Ryzen 3 1200, going 4 cores/4threads in 2019 is a waste of money.

Perhaps 6 cores/12 threads may sound like a lot to play Fornite, but who knows what new games we will have to deal with at the end of this year, or next year?

Cheers

Last edited:
Not for the low cost. And it still would be a massive improvement over his current CPU even if it only is 4 threads.

I never said it wouldnt be improvements, I even wrote it down there on my post. In some games it may good imrpovments, in others it will be a bit better only (once again thats me trying to have a good guessing, since we have no clue what resolution or details settings hes aiming for).

All I wrote was my point of view, and I stick with it, it is not a good investment in 2019 to buy a 4c/4t. Thats all.

Now if thats the only money he can spend, then theres not much else to choose from, isn't it ?

Reactions: stefanos50
I never said it wouldnt be improvements, I even wrote it down there on my post. In some games it may good imrpovments, in others it will be a bit better only (once again thats me trying to have a good guessing, since we have no clue what resolution or details settings hes aiming for).

All I wrote was my point of view, and I stick with it, it is not a good investment in 2019 to buy a 4c/4t. Thats all.

Now if thats the only money he can spend, then theres not much else to choose from, isn't it ?
Agreed with the ryzen 5 1600 / 2600 will have better upgrade options for gpu's in the future. Also in Greece (that i live too) and in the site that he provided the Ryzen 5 1600 is the same price with Ryzen 5 1400 (100 euros) so its just dont worth it.

Depends on the budget.

If he has the budget for a Ryzen 5 1400 or 1600, definitely go for them over the Ryzen 3 1200.

I agree. The Ryzen 3 1200, in the US at least, costs in between a 2 core Celeron and a 2 Core Pentium, two multiplier-locked CPUs not designed for gaming. When limited to the $60 the R3 1200 retails at, there is NO NEW CPU that can rival it.

My 1200 @ 3.7ghz cooled by a Freezer 34 and paired with dual-channel 3333mhz C16 ram performs pretty well. Paired with my RX580 and 1080p games, the R3 1200 keeps up 95% of the time.
My only complaint is that the CPU does occasionally stutter in GTAV online and demanding titles due to the aforementioned 4c/4t limitation of the chip. This is basically a worst-case scenario for a budget CPU with large and detailed map with tons of cars, NPCs, as well as other players driving cars and blowing things up all at the same time. But still, I manage 60-80FPS and its very playable.

it is not a good investment in 2019 to buy a 4c/4t. Thats all.

If it is possible to spend more, the higher core and thread count CPUs are a much better idea. But it is simply not true that it is a bad investment to a 4c/4t CPU in 2019 when the other options in that pricepoint are dual cores.

tylerd120

Prominent
Mar 25, 2018
Agreed with the ryzen 5 1600 / 2600 will have better upgrade options for gpu's in the future. Also in Greece (that i live too) and in the site that he provided the Ryzen 5 1600 is the same price with Ryzen 5 1400 (100 euros) so its just dont worth it.
True, but on aliexpress, with free shipping to greece, you can get the 1400 for just over 50 euros.

If it is possible to spend more, the higher core and thread count CPUs are a much better idea. But it is simply not true that it is a bad investment to a 4c/4t CPU in 2019 when the other options in that pricepoint are dual cores.

Well, if you add another brand like Intel (which currently has nothing to offer for the low budget gaming consumer, I mean, other than crap - once again this is my personal opinion) to the mix your changing the playground. But yeah I will give you that if you compare a piece of crap like a 2 core celeron or pentium with a Ryzen 3 1200, then yes, the Ryzen 3 is the better option.

Then again if it can be avoid it, I wont never recommend a costumer/friend/familly member a 4c/4t in 2019.

Aug 25, 2019
The cpu will still be a big upgrade from the cpu that you already have cause it has better single core performance. I would still suggest getting a ryzen 5 1600 or ryzen 5 2600 that going for really cheap now that 3rd gen is released and they are 6c/12t rather than 4c/4t and would be a huge upgrade. What is your budget?
hi sorry for taking so long to respond , my budget is 230 euros but i have to change cpu , ram and motherboard , but now that i have been better informed about this i am really considering the ryzen 5 1600 as you suggested ( also i shop from skroutz.com )

Aug 25, 2019
Well, if you add another brand like Intel (which currently has nothing to offer for the low budget gaming consumer, I mean, other than crap - once again this is my personal opinion) to the mix your changing the playground. But yeah I will give you that if you compare a piece of crap like a 2 core celeron or pentium with a Ryzen 3 1200, then yes, the Ryzen 3 is the better option.

Then again if it can be avoid it, I wont never recommend a costumer/friend/familly member a 4c/4t in 2019.
sorry i am not really considering intel since its insanely expensive and i am just a 16 y/o so i cant buy a cpu that will be 400 euros so ye

Aug 25, 2019
Like tylerd120 wrote, if youre on a really tight budget, a Ryzen 5 1400 (4 cores/8threads) will be a way better value than a Ryzen 3 1200, going 4 cores/4threads in 2019 is a waste of money.

Perhaps 6 cores/12 threads may sound like a lot to play Fornite, but who knows what new games we will have to deal with at the end of this year, or next year?

Cheers
well yeah i know but i am more into competitive games like before fortnite i would play league u know , i dont like games that end or games in the style of WoW so yeah i dont rly care about playing the latest games u know

Aug 25, 2019

well my settings are all on the lowest the can get ( except ofc the 3d resolution which for obvious reasons is 100% , and i am playing on 720p)

Aug 25, 2019
well i think i will go for this one https://www.skroutz.gr/s/11139197/AMD-Ryzen-5-1600-Box.html
with this motherboard : https://www.skroutz.gr/s/18161198/Asrock-B450M-HDV-R4-0.html
and this ram : https://www.skroutz.gr/s/9470608/G-Skill-Aegis-8GB-DDR4-3000MHz-F4-3000C16S-8GISB.html so i guess this is gonna be way better , but i worry about my psu that it wont be able to handle it , it is on 550w i think

I never heard of that PSU brand, but that doesn't mean is a bad one.

I tried to find info on amp rattings and, having found nothing, Im almost sure thats probably because is a generic PSU with a nominal (real) ratting of around 280~350 watts max.

In short, if your PSU is in good conditions, and youre only changing Motherboard+CPU+RAM it should be fine.

But be aware and carefull if you try to change your graphic card in the future, that PSU wont be able to handle big power hungry GPUs.

Cheers