Help with network setup

mendoman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have never set up a wireless network, and here is what the house I just bought has given me to work with (this will be a DSL installation with wireless networking)...

Both rooms where my two PC's will be do not have phone jacks. There are 4 other jacks throughout the house.

What do I need to have set up at one of the phone jacks, and what do I need to have at each PC?

I do have a networking frind to do the work for me, I just want to make sure that I get the right stuff.

Thanks... Troy

I play Russian Roulette everyday (a man's sport),
with a bullet called life

Nelly

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2003
I have almost the same kind of config like you. I am on cable and the cable outlet is in the master room so my cable modem is in mt bedroom. My wireless router is sitting right beside the cable modem and I got two wireless LAN cards for my two PC ( one in the computer on the same floor and one in the main floor. My thinkpad got build in wireless so it works fine without any addition hardware. One thing you need to watch out is if the DSL modem is in a room that is deep inside the house or in the basement then you might need to put your wireless router on the wall near the stairs and run a cat5 cable from the modem to the wireless router.