Help with Networking

Peachman

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016
So I still live at home and my Dad runs the router and its a Net gear Wireless cable voice gateway EmTA cg3000-1staus

link here - https://www.netgear.com/support/product/CG3000-1STAUS.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic#docs

So Optus is our ISP and we havent had problems up untill about a year ago so we got someone from optus out around 6 months ago and they fixed the problem (internet would cut out for ages and then come back) and this problem started happening again a fiew weeks after the person from optus come out so i've been trying to get my Dad to call optus to get them to send another person out however he refuses to because the internet is eather working on his computer or "it takes 45 minutes ill do it later" and can someone please tell me if this is a problem with my computer or my Dads ill put the specs below or if its a problem with the router

Dads pc (got it in 2014)
http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/Laptops/hp-pavilion-laptop-%28156%29-v1m95av-1

My Pc (i saved for 2 years didn't get it on the spot)
cpu = intel core i5 3.2ghz

motherboard = gigabyte H170-HD3 atx

gpu = gigabyte gtx 960 4G

ram = kingston hyperx fury DDR4 8GB

ssd = 3x kingston 120GB

hdd = Western digital 3.5 blue 1tb

psu = Corsair VS550 550W

case = deepcool Tesseract SW black US B3.0 mid tower case

Router Net gear Wireless cable voice gateway EmTA cg3000-1staus

Thanks please respond ASSAP

Solution
Its a command. If you are not even going to make the effort to do simple google searches you are not going to get far. There is no magic button that says troubleshoot network.
It is pretty easy to see if it is your computer. Run constant ping to the ip address of the router and some common address like 8.8.8.8

If you can ping the router it means you pc is generally ok and your router is responding. If you see your router is fine but 8.8.8.8 does not work then your internet is going down.

You could test from the other computer to see if both show outage at the same time.

Peachman

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016

so how could i do this?

Peachman

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016

no it dosent it takes the same time to come back again

Peachman

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016
so im going to ping the router this afternoon when my dad gets home but should i do it when its working and not working on both computers and then 8.8.8.8 and if that works when internet is up but not down its the router?

Peachman

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016

thanks sorry didn't realize i was being overcautious like didn't want to run wrong command

TRENDING THREADS