[SOLVED] Help with new 970 EVO Plus

Apr 8, 2020
I have been running a 1 TB Samsung 860 EVO for some time and recently received a 500 GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus.

I plan on secure erasing the 860 and reinstalling Windows 10 on the 970 along with my essential applications and games.

My thinking is I will just keep the 860 in the system in case I run out of space.

My questions are:
  1. Will I run into any problems doing this?
  2. Does anyone have any recommendations for optimizing this setup or the 970 Plus in general?
  3. Is it worth researching a RAID configuration? (I have only ever ran my SSD as AHCI)

Thanks in advance for any help.

When installing Windows on the 970, best to have the 860 disconnected during that process...(lots of folks end up with the OS on the correct drive, but, the boot manager somehow installed on the 860 for example, with both drives needed forever after just to be able to boot)

Secure Erase is not really needed, you can just reconnect it after the install to the 970 EVO, and delete partitions/quick format it from within disk management...

Apr 8, 2020
When installing Windows on the 970, best to have the 860 disconnected during that process...(lots of folks end up with the OS on the correct drive, but, the boot manager somehow installed on the 860 for example, with both drives needed forever after just to be able to boot)

Secure Erase is not really needed, you can just reconnect it after the install to the 970 EVO, and delete partitions/quick format it from within disk management...
Good to know, I’ll make sure I do that and make sure it boots properly before reconnecting the old one.

Thanks for the tip.

USAFRet

Titan
Good to know, I’ll make sure I do that and make sure it boots properly before reconnecting the old one.

Thanks for the tip.
Basically, this:

TRENDING THREADS