Build Advice Help with new build if possible. Especially CPU installation

Bazzlebrush88

Reputable
Jun 7, 2019
Well i say new build, it's more a build of pre owned parts.

I have an old acer predator tower with the LGA 1150 Socket motherboard (Can't locate the name of the motherboard). And an 80+ bronze 500w PSU - came standard with that predator build version.

I've ordered a CPU, an Intel i5 4690 (just for now) and I have taken all the components out of my broken build and put them into this motherboard.

These components include : 16GB crucial standard DDR3 RAM.

Msi Armour RX580 8gb OC (sp 2046)

2TB SATA HDD

Is this a case of plug the CPU in and go. Or are there some things I need to do once I've plugged the cpu in.
Because I've transferred my HDD will it be best to Install a clean version of Windows or can I load Windows that was installed on that HDD from my previous build.

Like I've said. Total noob, learning as I go. Much appreciation in advance for the help.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
as stated, simply place the CPU gently into the socket and make sure it's in there the right way, then put the cooler on it.

However, if the cooler is not new and does not have thermal paste pre applied (that hasn't already been in contact with anything) then you'll need properly clean the top of the CPU and as well as the contact plate of the cooler then apply fresh thermal paste to it before installing the cooler.

Reactions: Bazzlebrush88

Bazzlebrush88

Reputable
Jun 7, 2019
as stated, simply place the CPU gently into the socket and make sure it's in there the right way, then put the cooler on it.

However, if the cooler is not new and does not have thermal paste pre applied (that hasn't already been in contact with anything) then you'll need properly clean the top of the CPU and as well as the contact plate of the cooler then apply fresh thermal paste to it before installing the cooler.

Brilliant Cheers for info both. So when it comes to installing drivers, instead of installing new Windows can I not update the drivers ? What's the best way to update them once completed to save me wiping hard drive?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
It's possible depending on which type of Windows 10 you have that you can just boot into the OS and let it configure devices and once inside do a backup of important data then wipe and do a clean install.

If it doesn't want to boot into Windows, you may be able to use another PC with an OS already on its own drive to get your files backed up.

There's also different bootable USB/CD software you can get that can allow you to access the contents of the drive from that bootable software and then transfer files to another external storage device such as a large flash drive or external hard drive.

In the event that you cannot do any of the above, then you may still be able to save some files.

When you go to install Windows and you choose the custom install option, click on the partition that already has an OS on it and install to it.
Do not wipe it before hand, just install over it.

This will take all the files from downloads, pictures, documents, videos, and other random files located on the desktop and in the root of the C drive and put them into a folder on the root of the drive called "Windows.old"

You can then backup whatever files you can find in there that you want to keep, then preform a wipe and clean install of Windows followed by installing all your drivers and software like normal.

Bazzlebrush88

Reputable
Jun 7, 2019
It's possible depending on which type of Windows 10 you have that you can just boot into the OS and let it configure devices and once inside do a backup of important data then wipe and do a clean install.

If it doesn't want to boot into Windows, you may be able to use another PC with an OS already on its own drive to get your files backed up.

There's also different bootable USB/CD software you can get that can allow you to access the contents of the drive from that bootable software and then transfer files to another external storage device such as a large flash drive or external hard drive.

In the event that you cannot do any of the above, then you may still be able to save some files.

When you go to install Windows and you choose the custom install option, click on the partition that already has an OS on it and install to it.
Do not wipe it before hand, just install over it.

This will take all the files from downloads, pictures, documents, videos, and other random files located on the desktop and in the root of the C drive and put them into a folder on the root of the drive called "Windows.old"

You can then backup whatever files you can find in there that you want to keep, then preform a wipe and clean install of Windows followed by installing all your drivers and software like normal.

Cheers mate! Understood. I thought i may be able to Install Windows but keep old files. So il try that option.

I've never built a pc and this is from used parts. Should be interesting.

I'm going to keep the thread open for a day or two, as I may have a couple more questions during the initial boot. Really appreciate the advice you've given so far.

Thank you, Craig