Help with new gaming pc

DawidDog

Prominent
Jun 25, 2017
So I recently bought a pc on eBay and everything it works fine but there are a couple of minor issues I need help with. When I was connecting the pc to my monitor via DVI and the IO shield I noticed it took a lot of effort to push the cable through the slot. After one day of use something happened and all I could see is the computer loading screen when turning on my pc but I could not see anything once windows started up. The DVI cable and visuals work fine when I plug it into the graphics card rather than the IO. I have also noticed that only one usb port works out of the four located on top of the case. The audio and mic ports do not work either but the on button and fan speeds do. I can provide details of the specs for anyone that can help.

with the usb ports power the pc off and unplug it from the wall for safety. on the edge of the mb will be two types of usb ports. a usb 3.0 plug and a few usb 2.0 connectors on the mb. if the blue usb port is working on the front of the case look and make sure the usb 3.0 cable is plugged into the usb 3.0 port on the mb. if it is look to see if the case has usb 2.0 cables. if they do you have to plug them into the usb 2.0 ports on the mb or see if there not pushed in. for the audio there going to be a small 4 pin cable. conncet it to the aafp connector 17 on the mb guild. it the bottom connector on the edge of the mb.

DawidDog

Prominent
Jun 25, 2017
I have already checked everything is plugged in. The cable management of the previous owner isn't great but I can see that something is connected to the audio port of the bottom left of the mb.

Thunderballs

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
If you have a graphics card then the monitor needs to be plugged into the relevant slot on the graphics card not the motherboard directly.

You want to be using Display Port not DVI cable too - but thats prob not the issue here. You should have gotten an DP cable with the monitor.

Have you got a copy of the motherboard manual. Obviously the right things need to be plugged into the right area of the motherboard and you can have bent pins that stop a connection working. On several intel builds from z77 to my current z170 I have usb ports not work some of the time due to software crashes (I believe)

Solution