Question help with new gaming rig

unekmike

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Hi I recently posted in here about some other issue I had but after seeming resolving it I'm just not sure of the status of my PC, It's a i7 9700k 32gb 3200mhz Msi gtx 1080ti On a Asus maximus xi hero

I've have overclocked the CPU to 5ghz with temps never going over 80 while stress testing and never over 70 will gaming.

My issue is that the PC double posts when it cold boots, not too much of an issue as I've read it's normal .

But while trying to play gta 5 last night I noticed it runs kinda funky, by that I mean I have all settings at very high at 1440p the game runs at around 130 to 150fps but the in-game settings show I'm hardly using any vram and around 70ish percent CPU power and the game sometimes takes a hard stutter.

Could it be something with my overclock? I'm thinking I may have done something wrong. On cinebench r15 it scored 1600ish and that seems low for such an overclocked CPU.

Any help would be great Thanks. Sorry I'm kinda new to this stuff

1600 in cb15 is a fairly average score at 5ghz. A quick Google search showed a 5.2@1689 with a non oc score in the low to mid 1500 range. I wouldn't say 1600 is bad by any stretch.

As far as any possible oc issues, revert to factory and run the same tests. Just save your current oc profile to allow an easy switch back.

In gta, what exactly are you seeing as low vram usage? At very high 1440, I'd assume 5ish GB, maybe low 6s? Look at overall core usage, instead of overall cpu usage. Again, an assumption, but a few cores are probably close to maxed out? Is the game installed on a ssd or hdd? If on an hdd this may be the source of the occasional stutter.

EDIT: for reference, 7700non k/2080, basically maxxed out 1440p. CPU usage averages in the low 50% range, gpu usage(not vram) mid 90% average. 100ish average fps. This is with 16gb 3000mhz ram. No stutters, game installed on an ssd. I'll load it up and let you know what it says for vram usage.

Edit 2: vram usage on very high settings is around 3.2gb

Last edited:

unekmike

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
1600 in cb15 is a fairly average score at 5ghz. A quick Google search showed a 5.2@1689 with a non oc score in the low to mid 1500 range. I wouldn't say 1600 is bad by any stretch.

As far as any possible oc issues, revert to factory and run the same tests. Just save your current oc profile to allow an easy switch back.

In gta, what exactly are you seeing as low vram usage? At very high 1440, I'd assume 5ish GB, maybe low 6s? Look at overall core usage, instead of overall cpu usage. Again, an assumption, but a few cores are probably close to maxed out? Is the game installed on a ssd or hdd? If on an hdd this may be the source of the occasional stutter.

EDIT: for reference, 7700non k/2080, basically maxxed out 1440p. CPU usage averages in the low 50% range, gpu usage(not vram) mid 90% average. 100ish average fps. This is with 16gb 3000mhz ram. No stutters, game installed on an ssd. I'll load it up and let you know what it says for vram usage.

Edit 2: vram usage on very high settings is around 3.2gb
Thanks for the reply, I've read that gta5 likes to try and look for music to play from the PC and it can make it stutter. I'm going to try an turn that feature off and see how it reacts, also I forgot to mention I have everything mostly on max settings except when Vsync is off I get 170ish fps but stutters immensely and when I turn it on it runs better but not great.
My gpu when playing other titles stays around high 60c temps but this game my gpu stays around 50ish so that's one reason I feel like it's not putting the gpu under full load