Help with new pc build

badomen

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
I recently turned on my PC to find it wouldn't work. Long story short, i had to replace GPU, mobo and the CPU.

I went from a amd 5000+ to a new i7 2600k.

Now when i start up the machine windows blue screens before getting to the login screen. The Code is 0x7b

I have tried to "repair windows" 3x and nothing. Safe mode showed it stopping on a AVG.sys file so i got a AVG recovery CD and renamed all the avg dll's. Now the system freezes on classpnp.sys.

Recovering from a restore point wont work either. Unfortunately my windows cds are about a 4 hour flight away so is there any thing else i can try or is there no other way than to re-install as i have made such a massive change to the system.

Thanks for any help

badomen

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
I did not re-install windows no, i just put in new mobo and cpu, connected it all and started it up.

The HDD is a boot device, i have a storage hard drive too (both pluged in to the sata 3 6GB/s ports. It picks the drive up as bootable, even tried to load windows..just crashes doing so.

Its windows 7 64 bit..home i think. Like i said the box is not with me or i would just nuke the drive at this point. I have a new Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z with i7 2600k. NO changes have been made to the bios from defult (timings etc). Have a single 4 gb ram stick in it for now, and the hdd is not a SSD. Just normal, slow sata drive. GPU is a gtx550ti (New).

And uther39, i am beginning to suspect that is the case as well, just wanted to know if there was something simple that i have missed. Never made such a huge change to a pc and tried to boot from a pre install, so i didnt know exactly what would happen or a way to fix what breaks.