Question help with new ram

winkawak

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
My new ram came in today, after installing it my computer would boot up but no display, keyboard or mouse lights. I tried clear cmos but all it does is get my computer stuck in a 3 second boot loop. I have a x99x killer asrock mobo. I upgraded my ram with same brand crucial ballistix sport from a 2x4gb 2400mhz to 2x8gb 3000mhz. Anyone has any ideas?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Does the system boot normally with the original ram?

Which slots are you using? Should be using a2 and b2 ~ 2nd and 4th slot from cpu. Try each stick separately in a2.

Did you turn the pc off and unplug the power cable before installing the new ram?

Check haven't accidentally connected video cable to onboard igpu if have discrete gpu.

winkawak

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
Does the system boot normally with the original ram?

Which slots are you using? Should be using a2 and b2 ~ 2nd and 4th slot from cpu. Try each stick separately in a2.

Did you turn the pc off and unplug the power cable before installing the new ram?

Check haven't accidentally connected video cable to onboard igpu if have discrete gpu.

I switched back to my old rams earlier and no problem, i didnt change slots i used the same a1 and b1 slots.

lol i had my pc powered off and power cord u plugged when i installed it, im not a complete newb

no changes to where i connected my video cable

from researching, saw some asrock forum members having same issue but resolved it by updating bios which i havent done in few years since i never ran into any problems. gonna try this tomorrow and get back to you.

btw side question these crucial ram were tight to install on the mobo. i had to use quite abit of force to take them out or to seat them. Im worried about possible damage to these ram slots and ram itself had to pinch and pull them by the body of the ram. what are some symptoms of damaged ram slots/ram?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Don't feel insulted with some of the questions i didn't mean it like that. You'd be surprised what people do.

Ram usually aren't overly tight fit, if the locking latch is fully out the ram should drop in and then a bit of force is needed to slot them by pushing evenly on each side at the same time until the latch locks in.

Try slots a2 and b2, they are the primary slots for two sticks. Clear cmos after change.

Faulty dimm slots would most likely cause the system to power off/reboot consecutively.

winkawak

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
Don't feel insulted with some of the questions i didn't mean it like that. You'd be surprised what people do.

Ram usually aren't overly tight fit, if the locking latch is fully out the ram should drop in and then a bit of force is needed to slot them by pushing evenly on each side at the same time until the latch locks in.

Try slots a2 and b2, they are the primary slots for two sticks. Clear cmos after change.

Faulty dimm slots would most likely cause the system to power off/reboot consecutively.

im getting ready to do the bios update
i went to crucial and my asrock mobo website to check for compatibility. on crucial it recommended highest 2400mhz while on asrock product description it says Supports DDR4 3000+(OC)*/2933(OC)/2800(OC)/2400(OC)/2133 non-ECC, un-buffered memory

but in the memory qvl only has crucial brand ram up to 2666mhz

i was wondering if the 3000mhz crucial i brought might not be compatible but mobo is rated 3000+mhz and im not sure if qvl list is updated or not. Also wouldnt pc boot up normally anyway but run at a slower mhz?
try with one bank at a time, to see if one of them is not working.
Same happened to me with brand new memories

its a quad channel mobo is it okay to use 1 stick at a time?

winkawak

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. Other combinations you decide to make have no guarantee to be compatible together. You are free to do your own compatibility testing with no guarantees.
dude......
if you read carefully im diagnosing and asking a question about compatibility confusion. Im not experimenting

winkawak

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2015
ok so updating bios worked, but for some reason with this x99 mobo i can only have my 5820k oc at 4ghz if i want my ram at 3000mhz. if i try to change cpu oc speed profile higher abit like 4.2-4.4 ghz it jumps up drastically to 5+ghz.

TRENDING THREADS