Question Help with new system. Restarts when booting to USB

May 30, 2023
Hello,

Just put together a new system and I'm having some trouble with getting it running. When I try to boot the USB drive to install the OS (win 10,) it restarts a few seconds after the windows logo appears automatically. I have seen a blue screen a few times from the install media for machine_ check_exception.

I've tested the RAM one stick at a time, and currently three out of four passes through memtest86 and no errors.

I tested with a SATA disk from another PC with windows 10 already installed, and without the m.2 installed. It reboots until I see "entering recovery mode" from the automatic restarts, and it freezes on that screen.

I flashed the Mobo to latest firmware

RMA replaced the CPU. The one that came originally had a visible scuff on the metal cover on the CPU in the sealed package. The new CPU behaves the same.

I have disabled secure boot and enabled legacy / UEFI.

Tried creating media for install with Rufus and MS media creation tool.

Nothing is overclocked.

Could the motherboard be bad? Not sure what else to try and test at this point, or what to try changing in the BIOS.

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F

Motherboard: Gigabyte B660M DS3H DDR4

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800)

GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3060

Storage : WD_BLACK SN850X NVMe M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 4.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Power supply: Corsair RM750 750W Power Supply,

Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L Micro ATX Case

Last edited:
May 30, 2023
I don't think so. The flash drive is also new, and it worked for bootable memtest86. Memtest86 also completed 4/4 passes with no errors. Arg, very frustrating... Wish I had a spare GPU.

Anon#1234

Proper
May 30, 2023
I don't think so. The flash drive is also new, and it worked for bootable memtest86. Memtest86 also completed 4/4 passes with no errors. Arg, very frustrating... Wish I had a spare GPU.
Try getting a laptop ect, and try install on their, if it doesn't work its probably a corrupted usb.