[SOLVED] Help with New Wifi 6 router

Ryan_193

Reputable
Sep 17, 2016
Hey all,

I'm about to move into a new apartment and I need a new router. I could use some help with some suggestions and whether or not the ones that I have picked are good options.

Below are some requirements that I need:
  • Wifi 6 (obvious)
  • Cover less than 1500 sq ft. but more than 1200
  • Support for multiple devices (20 or so)
  • Fast enough for gaming and video streaming at the same time
  • 4k Video Streaming at times
  • Tri-Band is not a must but would be nice
  • Same goes for MU-MINO support

I have a list below of ones that I have already found that might fit. But give me your opinion on these.
Asus RT-AX3000

NETGEAR Nighthawk AX6 6-Stream AX4300

NETGEAR 4-Stream WiFi 6 Router (R6700AX)

NETGEAR Nighthawk 4-Stream AX4 Wi-fi 6 Router (RAX40) – AX3000

any help would be great! thanks for reading!

Solution
  • Wifi 6 (obvious)
Your "requirements" are mostly marketing.
WIFI6 -- Not a big benefit. If you wait for WIFI6E you will be more future proof.
There is no way to determine if it will cover 1500sqft. Construction materials, conflicting WIFI will impact.
20 devices is not an issue for any router.
Gaming and video streaming should be done on a wired interface for guaranteed performance.
4K video streaming should be...

kanewolf

Titan
  • Wifi 6 (obvious)
Your "requirements" are mostly marketing.
WIFI6 -- Not a big benefit. If you wait for WIFI6E you will be more future proof.
There is no way to determine if it will cover 1500sqft. Construction materials, conflicting WIFI will impact.
20 devices is not an issue for any router.
Gaming and video streaming should be done on a wired interface for guaranteed performance.
4K video streaming should be on wired.
MU-MIMO not really any benefit.

I wouldn't buy any network hardware until you are in the apartment and understand the location of the router, what the options for wired connectivity are, what the WIFI interference looks like, etc.

When you have specifics for your location, come back for better recommendations.

Solution
In addition to the above how fast is your internet connection going to be. Does not really pay to buy fancy routers if you are going have say a 100mbps internet connection.

Things have changed a bit in the last 6 months or so. You can now get some wifi6 routers for almost the same cost as 802.11ac routers. So even though they provide almost no speed increase in many cases it may still be a option depending on your value of any difference in cost. This is kinda a different situation than someone who is looking to upgrade a router. in your case it sounds like you have to buy something.

Now they still have extremely expensive wifi6 routers. The only router I have seen announced for wifi6e is based on asus ax11000 and that router costs almost $500. So the wifi6e version likely is going to be even more costly. But if we look back 18 months or so when wifi6 started to come to market there was a huge cost premium and only very recently has it dropped.

Then again you can get a pretty good 802.11ac router for $50.

Feb 3, 2021
Hey all,

I'm about to move into a new apartment and I need a new router. I could use some help with some suggestions and whether or not the ones that I have picked are good options.

• Wifi 6 (obvious)
I have a list below of ones that I have already found that might fit. But give me your opinion on these.
Asus RT-AX3000

NETGEAR Nighthawk AX6 6-Stream AX4300

NETGEAR 4-Stream WiFi 6 Router (R6700AX)

NETGEAR Nighthawk 4-Stream AX4 Wi-fi 6 Router (RAX40) – AX3000

any help would be great! thanks for reading!
I am very satisfied with the ASUS AX86U.