Help with Norton Internet Security Setup

I just purchased a new Media Center PC running MCE 2005. Circuit City
installed Norton Internet Security program.

Currently, it says that Supervisor is logged on/Parental Control is OFF. I
am currently the only user, but I would like to setup at least 2 other
users. I have setup a Passport, but I have not set a password for my user
account. I am confused on whether I need to setup the password in Norton
Security or in Windows User Accounts where I setup my passport account? I
understand that I can have Norton control user accounts or Windows control
user account. Which one am I likely to have the least problems with? If I
select Windows to manage the user accounts, do I setup my user accounts with
passwords before I run Norton to assign account types to user accounts?
There does not seem to be a forum for Norton Internet Security that I can
post too?

Since this is a very new PC, I want to make sure I do not do anything wrong.
I have read the info on how to setup Norton Security, but I am still
confused on where I log on and off (Norton has a log on/off option) and
where I setup the accounts first. Since I have not setup what account
manager I am going to use I am not sure that Norton is configured properly.

Please help!

Hi Lori,

First, I would remove Norton's junk from your PC!
It's nothing but a hog on your memory and HD space.
And it will most likely slow things down.

I have a Dell with MCE 2005.
I removed all the programs that I know I wouldn't need.
Including security programs.

Second, just use Win XP User Accounts with passwords.
It will make your life much easier in managing your PC.

Third, if your using broadband for internet, get a Linksys cable/DSL router
w/firewall.
Next, go to Grisoft and get their free AVG virus program.
Next, go to Adaware and get their free version of spam program.
These three things right here will keep your PC humming, without all the
overhead.
This is how I set-up my PC and my friends.

Hope this helps...
E-mail me anytime...

Regards,

Eric

"Lori" <lorikuiper92@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I just purchased a new Media Center PC running MCE 2005. Circuit City
> installed Norton Internet Security program.
>
> Currently, it says that Supervisor is logged on/Parental Control is OFF.
> am currently the only user, but I would like to setup at least 2 other
> users. I have setup a Passport, but I have not set a password for my user
> account. I am confused on whether I need to setup the password in Norton
> Security or in Windows User Accounts where I setup my passport account? I
> understand that I can have Norton control user accounts or Windows control
> user account. Which one am I likely to have the least problems with? If
> select Windows to manage the user accounts, do I setup my user accounts
with
> passwords before I run Norton to assign account types to user accounts?
> There does not seem to be a forum for Norton Internet Security that I can
> post too?
>
> Since this is a very new PC, I want to make sure I do not do anything
wrong.
> I have read the info on how to setup Norton Security, but I am still
> confused on where I log on and off (Norton has a log on/off option) and
> where I setup the accounts first. Since I have not setup what account
> manager I am going to use I am not sure that Norton is configured
properly.

> Please help!

I appreciate the info! Since I already have Norton Security subscription
for the next year and it includes AV protection, I will probably stick with
it a least for awhile. My PC is really fast so the slight slowdown is not
important to me right now. I would appreciate some help in which way to go
to set it up properly--what to do first? I have an Owner account setup now
by Circuit City. I have installed updates from there. I don't know if I
should use the Norton Account Manager or Windows Account Manager. Do I
setup my password for Windows Account before assigning Norton Parental
Control Accounts? Do I setup other Windows Accounts before assigning Norton
accounts to them if I chose Windows Account Manager? If someone using
Norton Internet Security could just help me get it setup properly I would be
very grateful. Since I haven't selected an account manager in Norton yet I
am afraid that this is going to cause problems--I did not realize that I
needed to do that until doing some reading but became a little confused
about the order of things.

Does Norton Internet Security have a news group? I have been unable to find
one.