[SOLVED] Help With Overclocking 8086k

Jan 30, 2019
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8086K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4008 Mhz, 6 Core(s)
NVIDIA - GeForce RTX 2080 Founders Edition 8GB GDDR6
ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming LGA 1151 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C16 2x16GB
Corsair H100i V2 Liquid Cooling system
Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD
EVGA Supernova 1000W Power Supply
CORSAIR Obsidian Series 750D Full-Tower Case

I want to overclock my cpu but i am not sure the best settings. I have tried some but whrn I run the stress test my cpu temp hits 90°c. If at all possible could you also describe whats going on and now the setting ties into the oc, this is my first time overclocking.

Solution
there is no standard settings that everyone can set their bios to for overclocking. Everyone's mileage varies.

Double make sure that your cooling solution is in place properly.

Don't put too much thermal paste on it, or that will trap the heat in. Too little, and it won't transfer it well either.

Here's a standard guide to get you started that will show you what to start with, and how to go through the process of incrementally bumping things up and testing in order to find what you are capable of achieving on that CPU and motherboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=301&v=pbRauc8gpQM

But like I said, not all CPU's are made the same and not all other hardware and cooling solutions are the same either, so therefore there...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
there is no standard settings that everyone can set their bios to for overclocking. Everyone's mileage varies.

Double make sure that your cooling solution is in place properly.

Don't put too much thermal paste on it, or that will trap the heat in. Too little, and it won't transfer it well either.

Here's a standard guide to get you started that will show you what to start with, and how to go through the process of incrementally bumping things up and testing in order to find what you are capable of achieving on that CPU and motherboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=301&v=pbRauc8gpQM

But like I said, not all CPU's are made the same and not all other hardware and cooling solutions are the same either, so therefore there is no configuration of settings that everyone can just apply in the bios that will work. You have to find your own overclock settings by doing the work for it. And there is no shortcuts either, you will have to dedicate time and patience to the constant and repeated process of applying new settings and doing stress tests that last for a couple of hours at a time to test for stability.

Solution