Question Help with overclocking an Intel i9-10900K ?

Mar 5, 2023
Hi, today I was trying to OC my i9 10900K to 5.0Ghz all cores.

I've got HX1000 Corsair PSU, so there's plenty of power headroom available.

Using Z490 MSI Gaming Plus with 8+4 pin connected to CPU power.

With Google there's too many variations, and hard to find specific information.

Could anyone could tell me here what do I have to enable on/off, what settings in bios on my mobo etc ?

What LLC, what Voltage Mode, Voltage itself.

Things I tried:

CPU ratio 50 (5Ghz)
Ring ratio 45 (4.5ghz)
Ratio mode (Fixed)
Power Duration is set to 4096W (as using 240 aio Arctic Freezer II ARGB)
LLC 2,3,4 (tested)
Core Voltage 1.250,60,70,80.. after 1.300V with LLC2 Prime95 skying up to 100C.

And the Windows showing around 0.045V more than I set in bios. Like with 1.250V Bios, Windows showing 1.290V~.

Some people said that they managed to run at 5.1ghz at even 1.280V which mine isn't stable with prime95 at 5.0ghz at the same voltage, while others getting 5GHz at 1.250.

I know that CPU OC possibilities are various, but do I have that bad chip to not get even 5.0ghz lower than 1.35V ? When 1.35 was for 5.1/2Ghz ? 🙈

Hey there,

Something like this will help: https://www.overclockers.com/how-to-overclock-the-i9-10900k-a-guide-for-taming-the-beast/

Although with a different mobo, the principle and process is the same.

Also, keep in mind Prime while useful for stress testing for pure stability is not indicative of everyday power draw, even if running something like Cinebench R23.

Why do you feel the need to OC anyway.? Your CPU is plenty powerful for now.
Sadly we can't tell you what numbers to input, as your chip is unique and may not OC like others. Or be even better than them. Silicon Lottery.

Running LLC at 3 may help with vdroop, when your CPU hits full load. This can solve some stability issue, but also pushes the voltage up. You can also try using a vcore offset. So if you set vcore at 1.35, then use an minus (-) offset of 0.05 the voltage will be 1.3.

Reactions: Inver_ShaRingan
Mar 5, 2023
Hey there,

Something like this will help: https://www.overclockers.com/how-to-overclock-the-i9-10900k-a-guide-for-taming-the-beast/

Although with a different mobo, the principle and process is the same.

Also, keep in mind Prime while useful for stress testing for pure stability is not indicative of everyday power draw, even if running something like Cinebench R23.

Why do you feel the need to OC anyway.? Your CPU is plenty powerful for now.
Sadly we can't tell you what numbers to input, as your chip is unique and may not OC like others. Or be even better than them. Silicon Lottery.

Running LLC at 3 may help with vdroop, when your CPU hits full load. This can solve some stability issue, but also pushes the voltage up. You can also try using a vcore offset. So if you set vcore at 1.35, then use an minus (-) offset of 0.05 the voltage will be 1.3.

Thanks for reply, yeah silicone lottery can be tricky, and in fact Prime95 and Cinebench23 are not quite a gaming performance/stability tests 😅. But someone suggests to use realbench Rog, and I've done as far as 20Runs, with max on 84C on CPU.

And I've set 5ghz with 1.25V LLC2 and as far as good actually. I didn't run Prime95 as I know that it'll cause some instability, but as long as it will be stable while gaming, and squeeze few FPS more 🙈, then should be fine I guess.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Thanks for reply, yeah silicone lottery can be tricky, and in fact Prime95 and Cinebench23 are not quite a gaming performance/stability tests 😅. But someone suggests to use realbench Rog, and I've done as far as 20Runs, with max on 84C on CPU.

And I've set 5ghz with 1.25V LLC2 and as far as good actually. I didn't run Prime95 as I know that it'll cause some instability, but as long as it will be stable while gaming, and squeeze few FPS more 🙈, then should be fine I guess.
Okay, that's good. At least you are aware of the trade-offs. OC is fun. I do it on all y my systems. It can get a nice little jump in performance if done correctly.

If you find there's random game crashes, then it's likely the OC is not stable enough. So dial it back 100mhz, and test again and again, untill you pass whatever bench you ar erunning.

Mar 5, 2023
Okay, that's good. At least you are aware of the trade-offs. OC is fun. I do it on all y my systems. It can get a nice little jump in performance if done correctly.

If you find there's random game crashes, then it's likely the OC is not stable enough. So dial it back 100mhz, and test again and again, untill you pass whatever bench you ar erunning.
From 5Ghz going back 100mhz means 4.9Ghz, so stock settings 🙈, but maybe just incase by 0.010mV just till I get it most stable ?

And one more thing, I've set 4.5Ghz for Ring/LLC Core but not sure if I should leave on Auto, because on 4.9ghz was unstable (if that was an issue).

Hi, today I was trying to OC my i9 10900K to 5.0Ghz all cores.

I've got HX1000 Corsair PSU, so there's plenty of power headroom available.

Using Z490 MSI Gaming Plus with 8+4 pin connected to CPU power.

With Google there's too many variations, and hard to find specific information.

Could anyone could tell me here what do I have to enable on/off, what settings in bios on my mobo etc ?

What LLC, what Voltage Mode, Voltage itself.

Things I tried:

CPU ratio 50 (5Ghz)
Ring ratio 45 (4.5ghz)
Ratio mode (Fixed)
Power Duration is set to 4096W (as using 240 aio Arctic Freezer II ARGB)
LLC 2,3,4 (tested)
Core Voltage 1.250,60,70,80.. after 1.300V with LLC2 Prime95 skying up to 100C.

And the Windows showing around 0.045V more than I set in bios. Like with 1.250V Bios, Windows showing 1.290V~.

Some people said that they managed to run at 5.1ghz at even 1.280V which mine isn't stable with prime95 at 5.0ghz at the same voltage, while others getting 5GHz at 1.250.

I know that CPU OC possibilities are various, but do I have that bad chip to not get even 5.0ghz lower than 1.35V ? When 1.35 was for 5.1/2Ghz ? 🙈
Try out Throttlestop. Run the benchmarks with TS Bench, and monitor the results with the limits tab. It will possibly go red as in too hot for PL1/PL2 or thermals. It might point you in the right directions, or PROCHOT.

Reactions: Inver_ShaRingan
Mar 5, 2023
Try out Throttlestop. Run the benchmarks with TS Bench, and monitor the results with the limits tab. It will possibly go red as in too hot for PL1/PL2 or thermals. It might point you in the right directions, or PROCHOT.
TS Bench with Fixed MHz showing no errors whatsoever, but at Random 4-5 errors at time.

But fun fact, when I set all on Auto, only 50Ratio on Core, bios set voltage automatically to 1.296V and boosting max 1.312V
(1.299V AVG) when using benchmarks like TS Bench for example, without any errors.

Can I leave on auto in this case ? Cuz it looks like, that my mobo setted all correctly and not too high. Or maybe just use LLC 4 (as doing basically the same as auto) but it will prevent from any unwanted spikes with auto settings ?

TS Bench with Fixed MHz showing no errors whatsoever, but at Random 4-5 errors at time.

But fun fact, when I set all on Auto, only 50Ratio on Core, bios set voltage automatically to 1.296V and boosting max 1.312V
(1.299V AVG) when using benchmarks like TS Bench for example, without any errors.

Can I leave on auto in this case ? Cuz it looks like, that my mobo setted all correctly and not too high. Or maybe just use LLC 4 (as doing basically the same as auto) but it will prevent from any unwanted spikes with auto settings ?

Yes, if it works you can leave it on auto. But in terms of vcore, i'd say no. The reason being is that LLC can help with vdroop, but can also overvolt to achieve this. It's only meant for hardcore OC'ing level 4. I'd stick with level 3.

To use LLC, I would be sticking with a fixed voltage with an offset. Try 1.350 with a 0.05 offset, and then trick around with them, bumping slightly each time (and testing) till everything is healthy.