Question Help with overclocking i5 8600k

ilalo83

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2016
Hello
Ive tried to look for guides on how to overclock my cpu to 5ghz, i manage to do so, but its not stable
my windows crashed from time to time and more often when i try to run benchmark/run games

Does anyone know how to overclock and get it to be stable? maybe someone got the same CPU and motherboard
maybe someone can link me to a guide

Do i maybe need to upgrade something? like my motherboard? RAM ?

Ive gotten Asassins creed and new tomb raider and they are demanding so much of my CPU
Almost always run at 100% while my gpu at around 70-80ish %

My specs are :

i5 8600k
Noctua NH-D15
Asus Strix Z370F Gaming
HyperX Fury DDR4 2666mhz 16GB
Gigabyte Windforce OC 2080
Samsung Evo 850/860

Getting the CPU to hit a certain frequency really depends on the individual chip. Some will overclock higher than others. The difference in gaming between 4.8ghz and 5ghz will probably equate to a couple of fps. No one will see a difference except in benchmarks.

The way these CPUs boost today, overclocking does not present a whole lot of returns, especially for gaming. Because games usually run on single threaded workloads and the CPU single core boost is usually pretty close to the all core overclock you will put on.

As for your CPU, it is a very good CPU for gaming and I would not worry about it running at 100%. I suspect you are playing at 1080p which is causing a bottleneck with your GPU. The 2080 has too much horsepower to max out at 1080p, so you put all of the stress on the CPU, which is fine. It is just hitting its max fps.

One thing you can do is check your background processes. If you are chatting on discord and listing to music while playing a game, all of the applications are using CPU resources.

As for overclocking, I am not familiar with that board's bios, but adjusting the load line calibration (LLC) to higher settings will help with stability. But it will come with a cost of more heat. I recommend to google you mobo and overclocking guide. You are sure to find many guides who have details for all the settings.

ilalo83

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2016
Thanks for the reply
i should have mentioned that im playing on 1440p and ive tried several graphic settings just in case that does help

I was sure that if you overclocked your cpu it would have a bit more to give and maybe wont be pushed 100%

So LLC needs to be put higher and not lower
aha, i will have to try that one out
im not so worried about head as with this cooler doing prime it doesnt get hotter than around 60-70ish